RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

pfSense and Untangle hardware not to get

Don W

As usual, I took the plunge without doing some in-depth research and bought a motherboard that is not supported by the OS I wanted to install, so this time I bought what looked like a great, affordable setup, it is the OEM 2550L2D-MxPC which is an Atom based board with dual GigaBit LAN ports. I went to the manufactures web site and it said the MB was Linux and FreeBSD compatible so I bought it since it was $129 for the kit which was MB, case, picoPS which is a smokin deal. I later found out the motherboard is compliant but the BroadCom ethernet chip is not supported by Linux or BSD.  Other than that it was a good combo. Oh well, I have since ordered another combo that is supported and returned this setup.

http://www.oemproduction.com/products/2700L2D-MxPC.asp

Don

The reviews on NewEgg show a lot of people using this box for pfsense, Untangle and Sophos. Did you get an error while loading? 

Yeah, specifically, there are people running pfSense on the board.

What version of pfSense are you using?

Also.... have you tried sophos UTM on it? I know for a fact that it works on it. Out of box.

Thats weird, I first tried pfsense and both lan ports showed activity while I was installing the OS, as soon as it got to the part where the ethernet ports are assigned to LAN or WAN, both port lights died out so I assumed it was when the drivers were installed and then I went to their web site and it said the Broadcom Ethernet Chip was not supported in pfsense. So then I tried installing Untangle and pretty much the same thing happened. I have not tried to install Sophos since it had failed at the same part in each install. I even tried version 9 and 10 of Untangle. Hmmmmm....

With all the problems I had I returned it to NewEgg and bought the Intel based Atom board and it works right out of the box without any hicups.

If that's the case, you may have gotten a bad box. 

Considering that box is an Atom D2550 system.  

But yeah, the specific chipset isn't on the HCL list. But it's definitely working on my Sophos UTM box...

But yes, what board did you go with?

Man, look at all the ports on that little badboy! Dual NICs, even PS/2 KB & Mouse. That's a densly packed little box for sure, and the price is pretty nice.