RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Accessing WHS from Ubuntu

mysticgeek

In case anyone is interested in accessing WHS from Ubuntu...it's an easy process and I posted a how-to article on it that you can check out. It seems to work fine out of the box. I did a clean install of Ubuntu 10.04 and was able to access files easily.

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/19389/access-windows-home-server-from-an-ubuntu-computer-on-your-network/

You can transfer files back and forth with ease. My next project is to find an efficient way to backup an Ubuntu Machine to WHS. Anyone backing up their Ubuntu or other Linux disrto machine to WHS? Is so, suggestions would be appreciated. I tried SBackup .. but can't seem to get it to work correctly.

I am running a Ubuntu 10.04 and 9.1 as a virtual machine on my Windows 7 box. Both can access the WHS with no problem and I have not worried about backing them up since I either have a snapshot or the virtual harddrive is getting backed up as part of the normal Windows 7 backup.

While I don't have a big need for it, if you do come up with an easy automated way to back them up to the WHS, please post it here.

Mike