RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Essentials R2 and Media Sharing

Luck has nothing to do with it.

I HAD 512kbps upload. I'm paying for Cox Business to get that 4mbps. And 28mbps down (ironically, was ~34 on the home premium package......) Though, I have NO blocked ports. That means I can use poot 80 and 25 with no issues!

And I'm paying $95/month to get "all that". I feel violated every time I pay the bill.

IIRC, I could get closer to that "100mbps" they promise all over.... if I wanted to pay closer to $500/month........

Depends on the quality, though. But yeah.

I pay nearly that for my home service. However, I can't get a business package no matter what I'm willing to pay. The ISP simply refuses to offer business packages to residential addresses. Don't ask me why; I'm completely baffled by it myself.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ikon

• Drashna Jaelre

• Poppapete

• Jason

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I agree, and I'm totally behind net neutrality, around the world.

Drashna Jaelre

Ouch. :(

Mine's "discounted" because it's a "small/home office". But that really sucks for you. I'd say switch, but ISPs are apparently a gov't sanctioned monopoly here. :(

Jmwillis, appreciate the insight. Do you know what the rec OS, RAM and CPU reqs would be for a VM in a small home env? Or would it be a more appropriate case for office 365 for R2 home integration?

Ouch. :(

Mine's "discounted" because it's a "small/home office". But that really sucks for you. I'd say switch, but ISPs are apparently a gov't sanctioned monopoly here. :(

Pretty much. Basically, the ISPs got together and divided up the country amongst themselves "to improve service and efficiency and avoid duplication". The issue is that the gov't turns a blind eye.

Drashna Jaelre

The issue is that the gov't turns a blind eye.

Blind eye? No, because that implies an active ignoring. It's worse than that. Between the lobbyists convincing the gov't that this is okay.... and overturning net neutrality.... :(

Poppapete

And I'm paying $95/month to get "all that". I feel violated every time I pay the bill.

IIRC, I could get closer to that "100mbps" they promise all over.... if I wanted to pay closer to $500/month........

In Australia I'm paying $125 US per month for the best that ISP "Telstra" can provide me.

100-120 Mbps down but only 2.39 up. This is on a Docsis 3.0 HF cable service.

It does include a landline phone service with no call charges except international.

As you probably know most providers here cap the monthly usage. This one is capped at 500GB which I have never exceeded.  If you do, the speed drops to 100k (almost unusably for browsing).

We are in the process of getting fibre in my area now which will increase the up to 25Mbps but down will only be 100 guaranteed.

Blind eye? No, because that implies an active ignoring. It's worse than that. Between the lobbyists convincing the gov't that this is okay.... and overturning net neutrality.... :(

Remember, I'm in Canada... slightly different rules. E.g. the USA has Cable Card law; Canada doesn't.

Drashna Jaelre

In Australia I'm paying $125 US per month for the best that ISP "Telstra" can provide me.

100-120 Mbps down but only 2.39 up. This is on a Docsis 3.0 HF cable service.

It does include a landline phone service with no call charges except international.

As you probably know most providers here cap the monthly usage. This one is capped at 500GB which I have never exceeded.  If you do, the speed drops to 100k (almost unusably for browsing).

We are in the process of getting fibre in my area now which will increase the up to 25Mbps but down will only be 100 guaranteed.

When I upgraded to Cox Business, they installed a Docsis 3 modem. Also, Cox advertises "up to 100mbps" all over... including on a bench basically down the street (well, in the same small city)

With the residential ultimate package, it was less than 50mbps down. They don't advertise the prices for the business plans, you have to call and get a quote.But I don't think even the most expensive business plan was over 50mbps... in fact, mine has lower downstream, because it has higher upstream.  I'd make a fuss... but the choices here are Cox or ..... AT&T uVerse (DSL... and it's slow as dirt and disconnects frequently).  

Remember, I'm in Canada... slightly different rules. E.g. the USA has Cable Card law; Canada doesn't.

I keep forgetting that. Still wont' apologize for my rant. Because well, monopolies are bad. Gov't sanctioned monopolies are worse. And Net Neutrality is needed, IMO.