RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Essentials R2 and Media Sharing

Poppapete

Got it! Via File Explorer I have complete control. Dashboard allows very limited control. I am a bit slow. Thanks.

Now to add the Hyper-V Role!!

Edited by Poppapete
  • Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ikon

• Drashna Jaelre

• Poppapete

• Jason

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I agree, and I'm totally behind net neutrality, around the world.

Drashna Jaelre

Plex Media Server doesn't run on WSE12 or R2. If Anywhere Access VPN is enabled, PMS will hang when scanning media. Same reason I setup a VM.

That's odd, I didn't have the issue on R2 at all. Though, I did experience some nasty lag remotely, even though I'm on a 4mbps connection.

I wouldn't expect there to be much lag remotely unless your remote playback settings are set too high with regards to bitrate. I have 5 Mbit upstream and when my transcoding settings are scaled back, the quality is acceptable for a smaller screen and I experience little to no lag. Not to mention I have Sophos UTM configured to prioritize PMS bandwidth.

As for R2, there's a lengthy thread on the Plex forums talking about PMS locking up on WSE12 and R2 when the anywhere access VPN is enabled. I experience it firsthand with WSE12 though I immediately created a Win 7 guest VM in R2 to house PMS exclusively. No lockup issues and with 4 virtual cores, it appears to handle 1 local and 1 remote playback stream effectively. Fortunately I have no need beyond that as I'm not convinced it could handle it without hiccups.

Drashna Jaelre

I've got 4mbps upstream, and have tried various modes.... didn't help. And my CPU is more than up to the task.

Though I haven't tried since switching to Sophos, so maybe that may help.

Though, I haven't seen any lockup with Plex when I was using it.

But even with 5 Mbps streaming video is a challenge unless you're doing absolutely nothing else with bandwidth at the time which is rare.

Drashna Jaelre

You lucky people; I have barely 2Mbps upload.

Luck has nothing to do with it.

I HAD 512kbps upload. I'm paying for Cox Business to get that 4mbps. And 28mbps down (ironically, was ~34 on the home premium package......) Though, I have NO blocked ports. That means I can use poot 80 and 25 with no issues!

And I'm paying $95/month to get "all that". I feel violated every time I pay the bill.

IIRC, I could get closer to that "100mbps" they promise all over.... if I wanted to pay closer to $500/month........

But even with 5 Mbps streaming video is a challenge unless you're doing absolutely nothing else with bandwidth at the time which is rare.

Depends on the quality, though. But yeah.

I have the Cox 50/5 business package and it's wonderful - fast and reliable. Though I do took advantage of port 80, I don't run an email server that would take advantage of port 25.

Can MS Exchange server be run in a Hyper-V VM?

jmwills

Most enterprises run Exchange in a VM. In short, if it can run on a physical box there is no reason it cannot run in a VM.