RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Essentials R2 and Media Sharing

Poppapete

Can't seem to share my media folder on R2!

Do I need to add the media Pack?

Not joined to a domain. Did the SkipDomainJoin thing.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ikon

• Drashna Jaelre

• Poppapete

• Jason

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I agree, and I'm totally behind net neutrality, around the world.

Are you using the DashBoard to do the sharing? If so, it's likely a username/password issue. Try jmwills suggestion.

Poppapete

1. From the dashboard the relevant folder properties has a sharing tab with an empty list of users and permissions and no way I can see how to add any.

2. Tried to install media pack which is supposed to automatically add media folders and permissions. DL'd file called wsemp.exe but when I execute I get "This app can't run on your computer".

3. I can open server manager - New Share - and see SMB Share both quick and advanced. Never played with this before!!!!

Been doing all this from a remote desktop connection and as stated earlier I have "SkipDomainJoin" (which may be the problem).

Should also add that the folders are on a StableBit DrivePool,

Edited by Poppapete

Yeah. This is where having a true Domain is a benefit... you wouldn't have to deal with these issues.

OK, so who do you have under Users in the DashBoard? Do you have all the IDs that you have on your client computers? If not, you need to add them. To make things easiest for your users, you should create the accounts using exactly the same Usernames and Passwords you use on the client computers.

Once you've created the accounts, then go to the Shared Folders and Hard Drives page of the DashBoard, right-click on the shares, and add the user IDs you want and give them the permissions you want them to have.

If your client computers were joined to the Domain, and you were using Domain accounts on them, those Domain accounts would automatically show up in the DashBoard.

Poppapete

Well I went to my Desktop (a client) and was able to add the server folders as mapped drives (it asked for credentials).

Seems to be working but I need to do a lot of testing with media.

I will add the client usernames into the server list as you suggested.

The Domain thing does not bother me but I worry about the rest of the family!

Still don't know why the media pack won't run.  Maybe a problem since the update!

Oh and what is your opinion re allowing shadow copies.

Edited by Poppapete
Drashna Jaelre

Install Plex or Subsonic instead. 

I installed the media pack on my server ("8" core, 3.xGHz, 32GB of RAM, running on a SSD) and it errored out 90% of the time. 

Poppapete

Plex does not work with Sony Smart TV's - I have 3 (would go Samsung if I could buy again).

Loaded Serviio and so far so good on streaming from R2.

I will look at Subsonic if I run into problems with Serviio.

Plex Media Server doesn't run on WSE12 or R2. If Anywhere Access VPN is enabled, PMS will hang when scanning media. Same reason I setup a VM.

jmwills

Create the Share Manually and apply Share Permissions of Full Control to "Everyone" and Security Permissions of Read to "Everyone".  Do not use the Dashboard