RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

H222 Support.

stix01

I've messsaged HP after a response regarding my comments on the Gen 8 asking for them to check the compatibility of the H222. 

I have sat for a long time thinking about purchasing this card as it's not so expensive compared to the p222 and cache. 

https://twitter.com/unclejbully/status/454291794529103872

I will keep people updated on this as I think it's a good value add if we can have real support for a second card.

How would you use the H222? DrivePool or Software RAID?

Hopefully via the b120i or just as additional ports. That don't send the fan crazy... But even if it's just straight ports that's fine as I would just like some extra sata that keeps the fan as it is now.

Edited by stix01

I had the same question, never got a definite answer before the Gen8 units in question were unceremoniously replaced, so I dropped it. However I got the strong impression that the P222 ($) is the only one which the Microserver firmware natively detects. On the bright side it seems to have become cheaper -- for N. America anyway -- and what's more, those subsequent updates from HP tamped down the fan noise somewhat, even with an off-brand controller present

I had the same question, never got a definite answer before the Gen8 units in question were unceremoniously replaced, so I dropped it. However I got the strong impression that the P222 ($) is the only one which the Microserver firmware natively detects. On the bright side it seems to have become cheaper -- for N. America anyway -- and what's more, those subsequent updates from HP tamped down the fan noise somewhat, even with an off-brand controller present

Given the H222's support in other gen 8 product's using iLO 4 I really can't see why it may even currently work. If not current it can't be very difficult to be added in given the DL380 G8 tout's the H222 as a supported card and this supports identical cpu's , run's the B120i etc. 

At the end of the day I'd also like to see if with a little nudge in the right direction HP will add some support for another card. I suspect that the g8 microserver has a 3 year lifespan in their roadmaps so adding support for another card could be a good value add. I was thinking today that it add's quite a few config options for not much money. Also the H222 is available in the used market with the right low profile bracket quite easily for a great deal less than a P222 for me if the fan can remain below 10% it's a no brainer as I would like to add a total of 4x SSD's for different purposes in my box but upon considering if the fan could remain low I may even consider moving my mechanical drives to the non raid and running a drivepool and then having the SSD's in a array.  Lot's more options and I'd really like to have a HP backed card and the Schoon mount. Just I don't really want the P222 given the cost and the heat it chucks out.

Furthermore I'd prefer to give HP the chance to support this before I look elsewhere in the market. I'd prefer to have a 100% approved machine (Bar the drive mount!) So then I can call upon HP when something isn't right and I'm still able to consider a care pack once my factory warranty is close to expiry. 

Edited by stix01

The stock controller on the Microserver is garbage so I expected to find some record of people using others in the expansion slot, but never saw testimony for the H22x variants, only some HP verbiage from a web search, on their document IDs # c03811534 & c03806896, which nowhere explicitly acknowledges full integration when using the new-model HBAs. I think the new SmartArray cards use an entirely different chip from PMC-Adaptec so it seems unlikely the detail simply went overlooked when they were validating HBA compatibility

I'm seeing h222 used half price 2/3 new in the uk.

Also I'd like a card with less processing power so it doesn't need to have the fan ramp up as much

• 7 months later...