RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Linux flavour for G8

porkupine888

Hi All,

wondering if any enthusiasts found a better linux distro in comparison with another for the purpose of having the G8 up and running 

I've had a few in mind - 

FREE NAS

REDHAT LINUX 

UBUNTU

any ideas and also do we know where jump portals are to these walkthroughs for the convenience of other peeps ;)

Thanks in advance!!

If you are looking for a quiet configuration, go for RedHat or CentOS using HP B120i driver of RedHat.

If you don't mind having loud Fan, go for whatever you want.

You can also install Vmware Vsphere and install any OS you want without having fan issue.

You have to configure each drive in a RAID0 array in B120i and avoid AHCI (again for the Fan issue).

Pierre

The question is, what are you looking to do?

FreeNAS isn't just any flavor of Linux; it's designed for a NAS box.  If a NAS is what you want, it's your choice.

If you're looking to play around with Linux in a server environment, Red Hat Enterprise Linux or SUSE Linux Enterprise Server are options.

If you want a desktop environment but you're going for server stability, Ubuntu LTS (long-term-support) would be an good choice.

I can personally vouch that the latest version of FreeNAS been running great on this server.  Just make sure you fully populate ECC-RAM to 16 gigs.   As LongWolf have stated it's primary function is a NAS server.  However, it also sports the use of plugins to expand the functionality of a basic NAS such as Plex and OwnCloud.

I can tell you that FreeNAS which is based on FreeBSD is keeping my fans running at 25% without using hacked iLO4 firmware.  This is without a raid controller card since FreeNAS is talking to the drives directly as regular drives.  

Granted the fan should be slower but not going to complain.

If you want GUI, ClearOS looks quite nice.

Its a Centos implementation under the hood so can use the RedHat software.

Not used it myself though, just found it on my web travels...

I can personally vouch that the latest version of FreeNAS been running great on this server.  Just make sure you fully populate ECC-RAM to 16 gigs.   As LongWolf have stated it's primary function is a NAS server.  However, it also sports the use of plugins to expand the functionality of a basic NAS such as Plex and OwnCloud.

I can tell you that FreeNAS which is based on FreeBSD is keeping my fans running at 25% without using hacked iLO4 firmware.  This is without a raid controller card since FreeNAS is talking to the drives directly as regular drives.  

Granted the fan should be slower but not going to complain.

Hey Darkk,

i've been looking for walkthroughs to install FreeNAS successfully to no avail i've managed to get it up and running on SATA AHCI (which really isn't what i'm after) and this was to test on first occasion of FreeNAS was going to work - can you assist or can i contact you privately about this install and the errors / issues i've had please??

Thanks in advance heaps!!

Hey Darkk,

i've been looking for walkthroughs to install FreeNAS successfully to no avail i've managed to get it up and running on SATA AHCI (which really isn't what i'm after) and this was to test on first occasion of FreeNAS was going to work - can you assist or can i contact you privately about this install and the errors / issues i've had please??

Thanks in advance heaps!!

Honestly all I did was make sure the drives are set to AHCI and disabled the raid support.   Then I used 8 gig flash drive in the usb slot internally.  Fired up the iLO4 console to load the FreeNAS CD as a virtual device.  From there I just told it to install FreeNAS onto the USB storage device and after it rebooted I was able to configure it.

Only confusing part was the ZFS drive pool that you will need to consult FreeNAS forums as this is not a HP hardware issue.  

Once you get it going it's actually pretty cool.   

oh ok... so you placed a thumb drive in the internal usb slot and used that as a OS drive ? 

because i was intending on installing a sata 2.5" hdd  in the odd tray and have the os loaded onto it but i noticed in some other thread that recabling is required to have that SATA working as primary boot port; otherwise the server looks towards the caddy drives for boot

second question : you disabled raid and set to AHCI - then how did you raid your drives after? through software ?

If you're using Linux, you can create a drive pool or RAID array using the ZFS file system.  It's considered quite robust.

Lol......

Listen OP... IF you want to know about NAS4Free .. the new FREENas go somewhere where they know what they are talking about. ... like here

http://forums.nas4free.org

Loads more to it than just a "NAS" software !!

Also save hard for 16GB of RAM. Many types of zfs. ... but they all love loads of memory.

The OS should be installed to a thumb drive.... about 4GB will do

Pop over and get yourself learning :)

Edited by Essexraptor