RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

HTPC Video Demo

eobie

pcdoc..

After reading some info on the web the Ion (the first gen) does in fact support True-HD and DTS-HD over HDMI. If you are using spidf then I guess DTS is as high as you can go....

This problem seems to be that you need a protected audio path. I'm kind of confused on the matter. How can it support these codecs but not have the ability pass them through. The articles did say that you can convert it to multi-channel PCM, but doesn't that defeat the point?

Link to article

CoreAVC gave me problems with media center a while back, as in it would not use CUDA in full screen Media Center. They have since fixed that problem and it works fine now. Although using third party codecs isn't the best way, as far as I can tell it is the ONLY way to get mkv to play inside of Media Center

Edited by eobie

@eobie - Can you talk a little more about Media Center Master? Why do you like it, what are the features, and how long have you been using it?

@eobie - Can you talk a little more about Media Center Master? Why do you like it, what are the features, and how long have you been using it?

I used to use metabrowser up until a few weeks ago. It essentially does the same thing but metabrowser started charging, and if you use the free version it no longer gives you all the large high quality posters. I haven't had any problems with it thus far....

pcdoc..

After reading some info on the web the Ion (the first gen) does in fact support True-HD and DTS-HD over HDMI. If you are using spidf then I guess DTS is as high as you can go....

This problem seems to be that you need a protected audio path. I'm kind of confused on the matter. How can it support these codecs but not have the ability pass them through. The articles did say that you can convert it to multi-channel PCM, but doesn't that defeat the point?

Link to article

CoreAVC gave me problems with media center a while back, as in it would not use CUDA in full screen Media Center. They have since fixed that problem and it works fine now. Although using third party codecs isn't the best way, as far as I can tell it is the ONLY way to get mkv to play inside of Media Center

Just to clarify. "Technically" you are correct however there is a catch. The real issue is support. TMT 3 does not support it as it only supports the Intel and ATI platforms. There some other software players that support it however they do not support network media playback from a server without the use of third party tools. When I say it is not supported, what I really mean is it is not supported by mainstream software that someone could just go and buy, even if it is in the hardware platform. The sad truth is as of now, the only "native" (commercially supported software) support for network playback of media (BD and DVD) is TMT 3 and to the best of my knowledge have not released support for anything but the ATI 5xxx and the Intel H55 platforms. You can certainly find workarounds to make things work, however they are usually more trouble than its worth and not something I would recommend to someone looking to setup an HTPC. Thanks again for the video.

****ASUS Xonar HDAV series audio card, ATI 5xxx video card or an Intel Clarkdale motherboard required.****

Just to clarify. "Technically" you are correct however there is a catch. The real issue is support. TMT 3 does not support it as it only supports the Intel and ATI platforms. There some other software players that support it however they do not support network media playback from a server without the use of third party tools. When I say it is not supported, what I really mean is it is not supported by mainstream software that someone could just go and buy, even if it is in the hardware platform. The sad truth is as of now, the only "native" (commercially supported software) support for network playback of media (BD and DVD) is TMT 3 and to the best of my knowledge have not released support for anything but the ATI 5xxx and the Intel H55 platforms. You can certainly find workarounds to make things work, however they are usually more trouble than its worth and not something I would recommend to someone looking to setup an HTPC. Thanks again for the video.

****ASUS Xonar HDAV series audio card, ATI 5xxx video card or an Intel Clarkdale motherboard required.****

Good info, thanks pcdoc!