RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

HTPC Video Demo

eobie

awesome. i've had a q110 sitting on my desk for three months now that i've been too lazy to setup in the living mostly because i was afraid it would not play hd content too smoothly and would have to waste time in reverting everything back to its previous setup. now that i know it can handle it though, i think i'll take a day next week to set everything up!

Eobie,

Nice video and thanks for doing it. Most of the Atom/Core I3 discussion was in the server camp not necessarily for HTPC. I have six of them setup and they all work fine in terms of decoding. As you stated they are bit slow as you get into the TMT3/BD camp. The difference is about 4-6 times as you start taxing the CPU-I/O sub-systems of the atom platform. The other consideration is HD audio whcih is not supported on the ION platform at this time. I love the small and compactness of the Atom-Ion and in most cases is the way to go especially when you consider the price.

A couple of other comments for you. One, your video states that you store on the server, update and transcode from you main PC? Do you have to have your main PC on to watch? Secondly, you are using Daemon tool and ISO, have you considered just a standard rip to folder instead of going through daemon tools and using the ISO? It might be a bit faster. TMT 3 read BD folders the same as disk or ISO. Just a thought and nice job on the video.

Eobie,

Nice video and thanks for doing it. Most of the Atom/Core I3 discussion was in the server camp not necessarily for HTPC. I have six of them setup and they all work fine in terms of decoding. As you stated they are bit slow as you get into the TMT3/BD camp. The difference is about 4-6 times as you start taxing the CPU-I/O sub-systems of the atom platform. The other consideration is HD audio whcih is not supported on the ION platform at this time. I love the small and compactness of the Atom-Ion and in most cases is the way to go especially when you consider the price.

A couple of other comments for you. One, your video states that you store on the server, update and transcode from you main PC? Do you have to have your main PC on to watch? Secondly, you are using Daemon tool and ISO, have you considered just a standard rip to folder instead of going through daemon tools and using the ISO? It might be a bit faster. TMT 3 read BD folders the same as disk or ISO. Just a thought and nice job on the video.

I'm not sure about HD audio. I do output DTS, but I do not have a DTS-HD capable audio receiver, so I didn't even know that was a limitation. My main PC just runs Media Center Master, which fetches the meta-data (I may move this to the WHS). It does not need to be running at all. I have thought about ripping to folder, but to be honest I like that fact that when I rip to ISO (with the optional .dvd file) I am able to burn it with no issues to a dual layer DVD, or when the time comes Blu-ray. I guess it's just habit.

One thing I forget to mention, and probably the most important... I use CoreAVC to enable MKV playback. CoreAVC is great because it takes advantage of the CUDA acceleration included on the Nvidia Ion chipset.

How are you getting 1080p video from your DVD's? Or are they just from the Blu Rays? I thought all DVD's where somehting even smaller than 720p. Like the video and would love to know more about your whole process. I am currently trying to determine my HTPC setup for the 3 TV's in our house and love seeing other people's setup.

Mike

Edited by geek-accountant

How are you getting 1080p video from your DVD's? Or are they just from the Blu Rays? I thought all DVD's where somehting even smaller than 720p. Like the video and would love to know more about your whole process. I am currently trying to determine my HTPC setup for the 3 TV's in our house and love seeing other people's setup.

Mike

Mike

DVD's are 480p... I was referring to the MKV's and obviously Blu-ray.

I am not familiar with the MKV format. Are your 1080p MKV movies ripped from a Blu Ray disk? I have not ripped any Blue Rays yet, and my DVD rips have been done as VOB files.

Mike

I'm not sure about HD audio. I do output DTS, but I do not have a DTS-HD capable audio receiver, so I didn't even know that was a limitation. My main PC just runs Media Center Master, which fetches the meta-data (I may move this to the WHS). It does not need to be running at all. I have thought about ripping to folder, but to be honest I like that fact that when I rip to ISO (with the optional .dvd file) I am able to burn it with no issues to a dual layer DVD, or when the time comes Blu-ray. I guess it's just habit.

One thing I forget to mention, and probably the most important... I use CoreAVC to enable MKV playback. CoreAVC is great because it takes advantage of the CUDA acceleration included on the Nvidia Ion chipset.

When you upgrade your receiver, you will find that the HD audio (DTS-HD and TrueHD) are not supported. You should try out the folder structure as well as VOB that will save you from having to make MKV's at all. Nothing wrong with MKV except that play inconsistently from hardware to hardware. I am glad you got CoreAVC working as I found very problematic with many systems. It is one of those love or hate it things. I usually stay away from external codecs. One thing to consider when you rip your movies (either BD or Standard) is use a program that lets you trim the "extra stuff" off and if you rip to folders, you will not need external codecs, and save space in the process. Just some suggestions.

I am not familiar with the MKV format. Are your 1080p MKV movies ripped from a Blu Ray disk? I have not ripped any Blue Rays yet, and my DVD rips have been done as VOB files.

Mike

The MKV is a "container" meaning it is how the files are packaged. It can be used on regular DVD's or Blu Ray. Actual 1080P video is only from Blu Ray or directly from an HD recorder of some type. You cannot actually upscale to 1080P from a lower quality source.