RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

isn't disk balancing supposed to even out the data across all drives?

Ayala

I'm in the same boat;
- Drive 0 (1 TB): 50% (new boot drive I exchanged with the original drive)
- Drive 1 (640 GB): 96% (this is the original drive that came with my HP480)
- Drive 2 (1.5 TB): 40%

indeed this bugs me alot, and I'm kind of hesitant to run the utility.

.Sam.

Sam, it's quite possible the server just hasn't gotten around to moving the data off of the small one onto the drive 0. If it really bugs you, you can move a bunch of stuff onto a local computer, wait 24 hours, and then movie it back on and see if that redistributes it better.

I added the third drive more than a month ago. I assume, it should have optimized the data by now. I will give a try by moving a chunk of data over and see what happens.

My question is whether WHS looks at the speed of drives and tries to put as much data as safely possible on a faster drive, or even whether it pulls data that is duplicated off of the faster drive. I don't know that it does, but that'd be smart for it to do.

Just curious. Is anyone with wildly unbalanced drives actually seeing a performance degradation? Because my home-build was also extremely unbalanced, but I can't say that I noticed any particular performance hit. And I was wireless streaming full movie rips to my laptop. Plus file transfers seemed quite decent.