RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

isn't disk balancing supposed to even out the data across all drives?

Ayala

I moved a bunch of stuff over to my second drive which is now red, some spilled over to the first and I purchased 2 more drives over the weekend (newegg deal was awesome) and added them but they remain unused.

am I missing something? I want balance :D

What size are the drives? I know in my case that I have 3 drives, a 250gb, a 500gb, and a 1.5tb. The 1.5tb is only like 40% full while the other 2 are around 80%. This is because of the duplication. In order for every file to be duplicated, it has to use a larger percentage of the smaller drives in my specific scenario.

It's been my experience that it can sometimes take anywhere from a couple days to a couple weeks for everything to balance out, assuming drives sizes are equal.

If you want to force the issue, run the utility to remove the full drive. That will move all that data off the old and on to the new. It will still have to balance, but it will get things moving. Once the transfers are complete, just add the drive back into the pool.

Keep us posted

well it was quite an expense actually, but I bought the EX495 with (2) WD2TB Green drives and over the weekend they had these drives for $139 at newegg, (dunno if its still available), so it's maxed out > 4 2TB drives.

it's just a little eye sore to see one drive critically red and the 2 brand new drives unsused, plus I need to populate them so i can make sure the rives are healthy, i can't very well RMA them after a certain time if in fact they're faulty.

thanks guys!

I noticed that my frankenbuild's 2 identical 500 GB drives would never balance out. I never used the add-in. But the system drive was about 25% full, whereas the second drive was running about 92% full. I did use the Disk Management add-in to see this.

Now on my EX495, after running the machine as is for a day and dumping a bunch of files on there, I added a WD green 1 TB drive to the mix. Then I finished up with the transfer of files/folders from the frankenbuild. When I checked the situation with the Disk Management add-in, I see they're both at 30%.

I don't know why my frankenbuild never got anywhere close to being balanced out, but the EX495 is balanced right away. Kinda curious. Over a number of weeks, the frankenbuild's 2 drives remained grossly unbalanced, and still are as I unplug it to put it in the basement.

After researching the drive balancer utility that Dave mentions above, I guess I came to the conclusion 'if it ain't broke, don't fix it'. I saw a post or two warning folks not to mess with the built-in balancer. As it didn't really seem to be a performance issue, as far as I could tell, I thought I'd file the thought for now.

You might find this interesting/useful: Microsoft forums discussion about drive balancer

*So I just tried the trick that makes drive balancer kick in. I enabled folder duplication on 1 folder, waited about 60 seconds, and noted that the message at the bottom of the WHS console showed that storage had just been balanced. Then I unchecked folder duplication on the same folder, waited about 60 seconds, and noted that the storage had once again been balanced.

As one of the MS guys says in the last post on the thread, WHS manages drive balancer in a way that it sees fit.

Just putting this out there for consideration.

At first , I was concerned about the drives not being balanced, especially when I put in a new 1.5TB drive and it was less than 1% utilised for weeks.

Simply put... >>>>> JUST DON'T WORRY ABOUT IT <<<<<<

WHS looks after this in its own good time. As you move stuff around in the shares ...turn duplication on or off as you settle down to your own filing methods ......WHS will tend towards a more balanced structure. Once again, don't worry about it.
It is is human nature to prefer an ordered state ...
....don't look at your disk drive utilization and you won't stress ......honest!! ;-)