RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

N54L, HP NC360T, and RAC

riahc3

I just installed a HP NC360T in my N54L and things are SORTA working...

The problem is that only ONE of the dual ports work and on top of that at 100 speeds. RAC seems to be working OK.

Why is this? Ive tried both slots. Right now RAC is in second PCI-E slot and the HP is in the first PCI-E slot. Ive tried reversing them; In that scenario, both ports work but the RAC does not work at all (no video and no network)

Is there anything I should change?

Thank you.

As I understand it, the RAC can only go in the slot that is not  x16; IOW, the one that has the x1 and x4 sections. BTW, apparently HP calls the x16 slot "Slot 1".

As I understand it, the RAC can only go in the slot that is not  x16; IOW, the one that has the x1 and x4 sections. BTW, apparently HP calls the x16 slot "Slot 1".

Just tried it out again and now, strangly, the bottom port int the HP NC360T works...

I have the RAC on the one that is NOT x16....and the HC360T on the x16. Works great.

ikon is right.  The RAC can only go in one slot, it will not fit/work in the x16.

The NC360T might have upgradeable firmware; a lot of server-class Broadcom cards do.  You might want to check if you're on the latest.  I just updated a bunch of our Dell servers at work today with new Broadcom firmware, as the older versions were extremely buggy.

Edited by LoneWolf

Don't you just get a warm & fuzzy feeling when manufacturers release server-class hardware with crappy, buggy firmware/drivers? :P

Don't you just get a warm & fuzzy feeling when manufacturers release server-class hardware with crappy, buggy firmware/drivers? :P

Oh, the first time I found it out was really fun.  Buggy Broadcom firmware would  cause issues when you installed Dell OpenManage Server Administrator.

That, and my predecessor did adapter teaming on the NICs and some of the ensuing issues with the drivers, firmware, and team b0rked a network stack on a primary domain controller several months ago.  It took me several nights and an open case with Microsoft to fix it, and an eventual repair-install of Server 2008R2 to rebuild the system.  And some of the issues persist across several generations of servers.

I will never, ever buy a Dell server again without configuring it with Intel NICs. Ever.  Fortunately, Dell gives me that choice.

Edited by LoneWolf