RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Impact of 8.1 update on 2012 R2 Essentials

jmwills

After looking though the device manager, I noticed that some drivers where missing that I'm pretty sure where installed before the update.  Maybe not I guess, but I updated and installed them now and will see if it makes a difference.  Thanks

the drivers were not the problem.  I was able to find and figure out how to open the .dmp files and they seemed to point to the problems be related to malwarebytes that I had installed.  Malwarebytes recently had an update too, and it could have been crashing after the update for a day or two and I might not have noticed.  Either that or something in update 1 didn't like malwarebytes.  I'll post back tomorrow with an update to see if the issue has been actually fixed or not. 

I have been crash free for over 12 hours now and I never came close to being up for that long before so I think the problem has been fixed.  Thanks for the help

the drivers were not the problem.  I was able to find and figure out how to open the .dmp files and they seemed to point to the problems be related to malwarebytes that I had installed.  Malwarebytes recently had an update too, and it could have been crashing after the update for a day or two and I might not have noticed.  Either that or something in update 1 didn't like malwarebytes.  I'll post back tomorrow with an update to see if the issue has been actually fixed or not. 

I can't say that I'm surprised there. I've found more and more, it's best to not put a virus scanner on a server. And if you do.... make sure it's 100% compativle with the server OS and the software you're running..... 

I felt like I needed something on it but having Malwarebytes was really not needed and obviously ended up causing problems.  When I installed it, I basically thought what could it hurt?  I guess I found out. 

Did you install the pro/paid version of malwarebytes?  Otherwise, it really doesn't run in the background at all -- I have Malwarebytes installed on a lot of servers and use it as an on-demand scan, not a memory resident app.  Just curious. 

sprtfan is it installed on a HP machine w/ RAID?  Their late 2013 drivers cause BSOD's and seems to be fixed now... Just a PSA ... :) 

I felt like I needed something on it but having Malwarebytes was really not needed and obviously ended up causing problems.  When I installed it, I basically thought what could it hurt?  I guess I found out. 

Don't surf or do email from the server and you shouldn't need a virus scanner. At least, that's the way I look at it ;)

Me too. Don't surf from the server.  Don't load another browser. IE is setup from the get go so its so secure it's unusable. Leave it that way.

My 2 cents worth!