RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Impact of 8.1 update on 2012 R2 Essentials

jmwills

Can someone decipher the consequences for an amateur like me? I am in the middle of transferring from 2012E to 2012eE R2.  I have no clients connected to R2 yet. All my clients did upgrade yesterday to 8.1 update.

Edited by Poppapete

Thankfully, most home users won't be running WSUS, so they won't run into it.... I know, I know, you run it, but you're NOT "most home users" ;)

• Like 1

I updated the other day with out thinking, I mostly use it to store my recorded TV shows and movies.  I followed the link but I'm still not sure if there is anything I should be worried about?  One thing I have noticed is that my server has rebooted randomly a few times now after the update.  Was that on of the issues? or do I have something else going on?  Is there a way to rollback before the update?  Thanks 

Check to see if you are automatically receiving updates and auto-installing them.  As a rule, I let the server download them but I choose what to install and when.

I agree w jmwillis to allow auto download only. I also modify policy to disable auto-restarts of server after updates are applied so I can do that manually during off hours.

Fortunately I've applied all recent updates to my WSE12R2 box and have noticed no issues thus far. Have also upgraded one of my DirectAccess clients from win 8.0 enterprise to 8.1 enterprise with all available updates and it has maint a persistent DA connection w the server.

I agree with jmwills & Jason; don't allow systems to auto-update. I have mine set to auto-notify only: i.e. I don't even allow auto-downloading. That way, I don't get stuff downloaded that I'll never install. Either way works, just as long as you don't allow auto-update and auto-restart.

All it takes is 1 or 2 times when you can't get at your server when you want to (like in the middle of a movie you're playing from the server), and you can't figure out what the heck is going on, so you go check and find out the server's rebooting, for you to never allow auto-update-and-restart again :D

I have changed to no longer allow auto-update so I shouldn't have problems in the future.  My question is what should I do now?  After the update, my server has rebooted 9 times in the last 24 hours.  Here are the message I'm getting from the local server events.

ID         Severity      Source

41         Critical        Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Power

Let me know if I should make this a separate thread.  I also should mention that in addition to the update, I changed a previous admin account to a standard user account and also enabled that account to connect via remote desktop with some help from jmwills earlier today.  The reboots were happening before those changes I believe and think it is probably related to the update since I had no problems before.  Thanks