RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
schoondoggy

Easy mod to add more 2.5" or 3.5" drives to a T20

interrobang

Hey,

nice to see your T20 mod!!!

I also did a case mod of my T20 in the last year. Now the T20 can take up to 8 hard drives ;-)

The thread is in german, but there are a lot of Pics - maybe you are interested to see that!

Dell PowerEdge T20 ft. Dell PERC H730 - aufgebohrt und zugenietet

... hmmm cant use the function "Follow this topic". Its always unchecked damn

Edited by interrobang

schoondoggy

Hey,

nice to see your T20 mod!!!

I also did a case mod of my T20 in the last year. Now the T20 can take up to 8 hard drives ;-)

The thread is in german, but there are a lot of Pics - maybe you are interested to see that!

Dell PowerEdge T20 ft. Dell PERC H730 - aufgebohrt und zugenietet

... hmmm cant use the function "Follow this topic". Its always unchecked damn

WOW!

That is a great mod on the T20!

Very nice, thanks for sharing.

LoneWolf

The PERC H7xx cards also have full hardware RAID and caching.

H700 and H700P are pretty much the same; H710 and H710P are pretty much the same.  Main difference is the base model has 512MB of cache and the P has 1GB.

Magnets

I was trying to move cables to use this 3.5" mount in the T20:

By adding this bracket the drive count could be:

Four 3.5" drives

Four 2.5" drives

Two 2.5" or one ODD in the ODD bay

Eight drives and a ODD or ten drives!

The Orico bay looks like a neat solution, does it require any special modification? Just use 1 existing hole then make another to secure it fully - although only from one side?

schoondoggy

The Orico bay looks like a neat solution, does it require any special modification? Just use 1 existing hole then make another to secure it fully - although only from one side?

I think I had to move the cables to get things to fit right. In testing I think I had a screw on each side holding it. If I remember correctly, there was room to make holes in the Dell hardware to have four screws holding the Orico in place,

Magnets

I think I had to move the cables to get things to fit right. In testing I think I had a screw on each side holding it. If I remember correctly, there was room to make holes in the Dell hardware to have four screws holding the Orico in place,

qs8u.jpg

In this photo it looks like the cables are fine, I guess they make it awkward to remove the drivebay? I only need to fit 2 drives so there's probably room to lay the cables above the drives

zhup

Hello,

I bought hdd cage KC230 with hdd caddy on ebay. I am still waiting for the delivery.

In the additional cage I would like to have the drives in the same direction as in the original bottom located cage, in which the hdds are upside down.

But most of you located the cage and the drives in the different direction - example below.

post-9432-0-65448700-1423033579.jpg