RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
schoondoggy

Easy mod to add more 2.5" or 3.5" drives to a T20

schoondoggy

Very nice!

So your bracket hooks into the tabs on top of the bottom drive cage?

Tommi

Very nice!

So your bracket hooks into the tabs on top of the bottom drive cage?

No, the cage is attached to the bottom drive cage by 4 screws. You can see those 4 holes for attaching purposes in the second picture.

The drive cage is some sort of steel sheet metal, but the parts I attached to the drive cage were aluminium sheet metal, easy to cut and drill but still absolutely strong enough for this purpose to attach the second drive cage on top of the bottom drive cage.

I also used aluminium rivets to attach the aluminium sheets to the hdd cage.

If somebody else is doing this same thing, I encourage to use aluminium rivets because they are easier to "grind" shorter from the other side (not the side which can be seen in the two pictures). If you use steel rivets, you might need to spend (much) more time on grinding.

Basically I cut and made the aluminium sheets so that the tabs which are in the bottom drive cage are not in the way to attach the second one on top of the bottom one.

Edited by Tommi
  • Like 1

schoondoggy

Got it!

Very good point on the rivets as well.

Great work and thanks for posting.

Taffeys

Great job! Hopefully I'll have time this month to finish my T20 upgrade too.

ikon

Good job with the mod. I have to say, I do like rivets; they don't come loose. Not as convenient as screws, but very secure. That said, screws and rivets each have their uses.

schoondoggy

2ilnhqh.png

http://www.amazon.de/StarTech-com-PCI-Express-Schnittstellenkarte-SATA/dp/B003GS8VA4/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1430468539&sr=8-7&keywords=startech

I put 4 x 3TB HDD into the Dell T20 and it works.

If I will use the StarTech SATA controller can I put additional 4 x 3TB? Will it work?

Of course I will have to use some kind of cage for these additional hdds.

The controller your link points to is two port. You would need four ports.

Zenon

The controller your link points to is two port. You would need four ports.

Sorry, I meant this one: http://www.startech.com/Cards-Adapters/HDD-Controllers/SATA-Cards/4-Port-PCI-Express-SATA-6Gbps-RAID-Controller-Card~PEXSAT34RH

Will it work?

4 x 3TB + 4 x 3TB (SATA controller card) = 24TB

In Dell T20 Server Technical Guide it is mentioned max. internal storage as 13TB.

schoondoggy

Sorry, I meant this one: http://www.startech.com/Cards-Adapters/HDD-Controllers/SATA-Cards/4-Port-PCI-Express-SATA-6Gbps-RAID-Controller-Card~PEXSAT34RH

Will it work?

In Dell T20 Server Technical Guide it is mentioned max. internal storage as 13TB.

I can't think of any reason it would not work. It uses a Marvell chip which is good. Dell's max internal storage is based on the largest drive they sold when the manual was printed. What OS are you running and how are you configuring your drives.

GotNoTime

Will it work?

The Syba version of the card has the same chipset but is cheaper and more flexible. It also has PCIe x4 instead of PCIe x2 for some reason.

Do you actually need the "HyperDuo" SSD caching feature? It looks like you need a driver for the OS as well to support it. You may be able to find a cheaper Marvell SATA card without that extra feature.

• Like 1