RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
schoondoggy

Easy mod to add more 2.5" or 3.5" drives to a T20

Gnarf

I found exacly the same. But over 20 € for a two bay hdd cage!???? Thats $ 28!.... And thats the price without the caddys!

I want a good solution for 3,5" HDD Nr.- 5 + 6 but not so expensive.

ikon

Unfortunately Gnarf, I think you may be dealing with the laws of Supply And Demand. They probably just can't sell that many of these cages overall (thousands to hundreds of thousands rather than millions) so the cost per unit goes up.

Taffeys

Are there any equal alternatives? The price for the KC230 incl. shiping to germany is too high.

Keep looking; find a local company that liquidates/dis-mantles old PCs and Servers. I found mine in the US for ~$6 each.

Taffeys

The cage is KC230.

The sleds are U6436 or YJ221.

The sleds from the T20 do not fit.

I tried both the U6436 and YJ221 sleds; while they both will fit into the cage I found the "locking" tabs protruded too far and interfered with the case edge and side. I will use the GJ617 RJ824 KM503 sleds instead ( http://www.ebay.com/itm/181473314363? )

Edited by Taffeys
  • Like 1

schoondoggy

I tried both the U6436 and YJ221 sleds; while they both will fit into the cage I found the "locking" tabs protruded too far and interfered with the case edge and side. I will use the GJ617 RJ824 KM503 sleds instead ( http://www.ebay.com/itm/181473314363? )

Good call on the GJ617 nice fit!

schoondoggy

Prepping for the Meet Up, I pulled the cage and clean off the double sided tape. I cut to metal strips to add strength to the bottom and give me a mount point:

RHgtIn.jpg

I used my handy hole punch:

IjJjdg.jpg

I riveted the pieces in place measuring to be sure the width was the same top and bottom. Using a marker I set the points for the mounting holes. I had to punch the front hole in the case. The back bolt will mount through the mesh of the cage below:

LlIlYr.jpg

In place and two #6 bolts with lock washer nuts:

VYjJ1z.jpg

And filled with drives:

azzTgj.jpg

Dell T20 with room for six 3.5" drives, two thin 2.5" drives in a small Orico and two tall 2.5" drives in the ODD bay.

Of course you need to add a controller to have enough ports.

• Like 1

ikon

Nice job schoondoggy.

Joe_Miner

Beautiful Pictures Schoondoggy!!

I love a build where I get to cut/drill/solder/Dremel something(s) :)

Taffeys

Great work! Very professional install! I'm glad you got rid of the double-sided tape and went to metal-to-metal contact on that cage. OEMs go to great lengths to ensure everything is grounded for ESD mitigation.

BTW, I'm still working on my T20; going to cram seven 3.5" HDDs and three 2.5" SSDs into it. Got the physical details down, working on cooling. I'll post the results.