RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

pfSense and which Access Point for WiFi?

Don W

I think I have decided to try an OEM Production 2550L2D-MxPC mini pc for the router and can't decide which access point to get for wifi. Any ideas? I am assuming I need an access point, right??? I was thinking of an Ubiquiti Networks UniFi AP Enterprise WiFi System, Would this work?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16856205007&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-_-na-_-na-_-na&cm_sp=&AID=10446076&PID=5334937&SID=skim17214X742339Xac9325a79b8544c38ee0bb25e372449c

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004XXMUCQ/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=B5W3GIMR444M&coliid=IDH24T2DTUPOF

Yes, use a router. Companies charge more for Access Points, which is rediculous, because they are just their routers that they modify to not show the routing pages. Beside disabling DHCP, just be sure not to use the WAN port on the router. If you only use the wireless and the LAN Ethernet ports, the unit will act as an Access Point. BTW, only use 1 of the LAN ports. As an Access Point, the router should only have 1 Ethernet cable plugged into it; the one that connects it to your Ethernet Switch.

ANd you may need to change the IP for the "access point" as well. 192.168.1.2 or similar (one higher than the main router)

I was mainly wondering if Access Points had more power output or were the same as routers.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Not that I'm aware of. Of the ones I've used, they are basically the same hardware as the manufacturer's router. They just detune the web interface so you don't see the routing-related pages.

I was mainly wondering if Access Points had more power output or were the same as routers.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

It is tough to compare. Fewer companies are selling WAP for home use. Business WAP are more expensive, but I tend to find they have better coverage than there home counterparts. If you spend $75 on a wireless router and $75 on a WAP. I think the WAP will have better coverage. The best wireless routers from ASUS and Netgear, have great WiFi, but they cost $200.

Using wireless routers as access points, I needed two to cover my house. Now I cover the entire house with one WAP.

I am currently using a EAP600 from EnGenius. Ubiquiti makes very good WAP as well.

Which ever route you go, be sure that device you choose can deliver 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz simultaneously.