RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

iPhone/iPad/iOS printing to WS2012 Essentials R2?

Jason

Has anyone successfully setup iOS printing from their WS2012 Essentials R2 server?  I used to use Collobos Software's Presto Fingerprint (now AirPrint)  as documented here:

http://www.tinkertry.com/fingerprint-2-1-runs-on-windows-8-and-windows-server-2012/

http://www.collobos.com/airprint.html

Until I discovered that it broke the built-in DirectAccess connectivity on the server-side (worked with Microsoft senior support engineers on a specific incident on this a few months ago).  Yes, the iOS printing worked as I had hoped, but it interferes w/ MS DA capability.  Even more surprisingly, uninstalling the printing software wasn't enough to restore DA connecitivty.  Rather the server had to be completely reimaged and DA connectivity stable as long as the printing software isn't reinstalled.

Wasn't sure whether iOS printing was now natively available in Windows Server 2012 yet.  Seems long overdue.

Thanks.

I have been using fingerprint for years and currently do use it on 2012 Essentials R2.  I also have DirectAccess working but must admit i really don't use it too often.  Only really used it a handful of times as my computers are mostly on the home network anyways.

I really have had no issues with either at all.

I'm using an older version.  It works just fine for me.  Didn't see a reason to upgrade really.

To be exact the version I have installed is 2.2.0.629.  I think its the last version they released from the old fingerprint that they still support.

Thanks for the info. I'll try to find that version. Whatever you do, don't upgrade to the new Presto. I just tested an install of Presto on my R2 box and rebooted. Upon reboot none of my DirectAccess clients could connect. Am restoring to a previous system backup now.

I used to run that way as well but I switched to a canon printer that supports it directly and have had great luck with it.

Appreciate the feedback. Since I already have 2 laser printers on my network (BW, color), I may try one of these Lantronix home print servers with AirPrint built in.

Though I am curious whether the older FingerPrint app breaks DirectAccess.