RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Open Hardware Monitor

Al_Borges

I was "Fixing"  a friends computer yesterday -  needed some way to monitor system temperatures and found this very handy utility for system builders/troubleshooters

Open Hardware Monitor -  small utility that records the systems temperatures and plots them real-time.

runs right off a USB stick  attached is a screen shot of it running on my system.

Open source project available at  www.openhardwaremonitor.org

The problem was random shutdowns of an 8 year old Pentium 641 machine.   I made the mistake of helping this friend by upgrading it to windows 7 with a used 60 gig SSD a couple of years ago.   I didn't realize that the favor also included lifetime customer support :(

The main system was overheating until the thermal protection system shut it down -  you could hear the fans spinning up with the case open.

Root cause -  the thermal paste had dried to dust !  Replaced that and it had been running for the last 12 hours with no hiccup.  The Hardware monitor plot confirms the system is stable.

So,  it will go back to its life running Hoyle Card Games and Facebook.   I did warn her that computers did not last forever - the next time could be its last.   But I wouldn't be surprised if this system outlasts all of my own boxes.

Open Hardware monitor Screen Shoot.jpg

• Like 1
ImTheTypeOfGuy

I have a 13 year old computer running fine with W7. W7 helps computers last longer so that definitely isn't the issue if you meant to imply that.

Sent from my Lumia 928 using Tapatalk

Al_Borges

No, the "mistake"  was making the computer run better than new -  and getting called on for lifetime customer support as a result !.

Agree with you on W7 -   but I believe windows 8.1, running classic shell  is even better for extending the life out of an old system.

GavinCampbell

I will give this a look.

I currently run speedfan to control the fans and temperatures in my computers.  Looks similiar.

Thanks

Thanks Al_Borges. I'll keep that utility in mind. Really surprising to hear the thermal paste dried out. I've never seen that happen. Mind you, I always use Arctic Silver, so that may be why.

GavinCampbell, I don't think the utility controls anything; it reads like it only does monitoring, so it's not really a competitor to SpeedFan.

GavinCampbell

Thanks Al_Borges. I'll keep that utility in mind. Really surprising to hear the thermal paste dried out. I've never seen that happen. Mind you, I always use Arctic Silver, so that may be why.

GavinCampbell, I don't think the utility controls anything; it reads like it only does monitoring, so it's not really a competitor to SpeedFan.

Speedfan also does monitoring and recording I believe.   I just mentioned speedfan because it can do everything this does and more and seems to be updated more frequently.  Or at leasts lists windows 8/2012 as supported.

Drashna Jaelre

I made the mistake of helping this friend by upgrading it to windows 7 with a used 60 gig SSD a couple of years ago.   I didn't realize that the favor also included lifetime customer support :(

Seriously, should have known better. Every time you help a friend, you become their lifetime "go to tech support guy". I mean... it's not like I just ordered a PayPal Here card swiper JUST for this reason............. 

And very neat utility. Publishes to WMI, so other apps can use the data as well. Wondering if it runs as a system service. 

What really burns my butt is how these people you do favours for feel they have the right to actually get mad at you if:

1. you can't figure out what's wrong with their system this time, as though you somehow ripped them off when you first helped them, even though you didn't charge them and their system is all messed up because they totally ignored all your warnings about things they shouldn't do, or;

2. you tell them you don't have time to fix their system right now, and might not be able to for some time, as if you don't have a right to say no to them. :angry:
Drashna Jaelre

Yeah, seriously. :(

But then again, that's why I picked up the PayPal Here card swiper. :)

Open Hardware Monitor will run as a service using nssm. I use it to monitor my server status from my Home Automation system.