RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

8Gb RAM for HP MicroServer Gen 7 N54L?

odedia

Hi all,

I want to buy a MicroServer Gen 7 (N54L?) box, but I am looking to upgrade the RAM to 8Gb. I searched all over the forums here and only saw references to N40L.

Can anyone recommend a good, working set of 2x4Gb RAM for this machine? I am looking at Kingston or Crucial only. I think Crucial's website is wrong regarding compatibility, since it recommends a CL11 ram and not CL9.

Thanks.

P.S. If anyone can recommend a similar machine but with EIGHT drive bays it would be excellent. I am looking to use this solely as a NAS4FREE machine.

Thanks, I've seen that link before, but it is so overwhelming and could only find ram discussions regarding N40L.

If anyone can link to an actual kingston model it would be great. 

Almost any basic RAM is compatible.  The key is whether you want ECC RAM or not.

If it isn't mission-critical, the N54L supports standard, unbuffered DDR3.  I'm using two 4GB G.Skill Ares sticks like these.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231546

Really, the N54L isn't complicated when it comes to RAM, unless you have to have ECC.  Then a standard 8GB ECC unbuffered kit from Crucial or Kingston would be your best bet.  Also note, latency isn't that big of a deal on a server, because there's not a lot of BIOS tweaking you can do.  There won't be a ton of difference between CL11 and CL9 (though by coincidence, the sticks I listed are CL9.

Sticks rated for higher bus speed may have lower latencies, so that may be where you find CL11 RAM.  Going beyond PC3-12800 doesn't make sense in an N54L.

Edited by LoneWolf

LoneWolf, I think people need to be a little careful about RAM for the older MicroServers, the N40L in particular. I do recall that there are posts about people having issues with the N40L. It was a pleasant surprise when we found out the N54L seemed to be much more tolerant. This was all particularly important when trying to put 16GB into them. There were quite a few posts about RAM not reporting consistently in the BIOS when 16GB was installed. Joe_Miner even had a situation where the RAM would report 16GB most of the time, but not always.

Ikon, I agree for 16GB RAM upgrades --of course, none of the N36L/N40L/N54L Microservers are supported by HP beyond an 8GB configuration, so it's a YMMV situation to begin with.

At the 8GB level though, the Gen7 (AFAIK) is pretty tolerant.

@ odedia

look here my friend... a listing of RAM known to work

RAM modules known to work with the Gen7 Microserver (N54L, N40L, N36L): 

http://n40l.wikia.com/wiki/Memory

regarding 8 drive bays..... just connect a DAS via the eSATA connector once you have carried out the port multiplier MOD and your good to go. OR pop a USB 3 PCIe card in one of the slots and connect via USB 3 as a another option  :)

I have one of these connected to my N40L

http://www.hornettek.com/hdd-enclosure/3-5-quad-bay-jbod/hornettek-enterprise-4x.html

Edited by Essexraptor

Thanks, I've seen that link before, but it is so overwhelming and could only find ram discussions regarding N40L.

If anyone can link to an actual kingston model it would be great. 

N36L, N40L & N54L are the same.

I'm using the Kingston in my N54L that I had used in my N40L

http://homeservershow.com/forums/index.php?/topic/3459-ram-for-hp-proliant-microserver/?p=34568