RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

HyperV 2012 -- Passthrough hardrive SCSI not seen in VM client ( Windows 7 home premium )

news70

I'm confused by the suggestion to bring the drives back online in the host as well. You have to have them offline in order to pass them through to the guest OS. I'd suggest creating the RAID in the host OS, and then taking the array offline and passing it through to the guest. This can cause occasional issues with a striped array, but works great with mirrors.

One other thought; there are many limitations with using the Home Premium version as a guest. It's not really supported. I wonder if that is causing issue with the pass through. It may not be supported in OS less than Pro. Dynamic memory allocation, for example, is not supported in Home Premium.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Sorry for dumb, off-topic question - but do you all recommend adding guest VMs to the domain or keeping them as default (workgroup)? I currently have my Win 7 guest VMs set to WORKGROUP w/ autologin enabled so they start up on Host OS reboot.

Sorry for dumb, off-topic question - but do you all recommend adding guest VMs to the domain or keeping them as default (workgroup)? I currently have my Win 7 guest VMs set to WORKGROUP w/ autologin enabled so they start up on Host OS reboot.

I recommend you doing whichever fits the use case for the VM. I have four VMs that I kept in a workgroup because of permissions issues, and I have two I have in a domain because of permissions issues.  :)

In the HyperV Manager, it's at the bottom of one of the menus; one near the middle IIRC.

Thanks,  found  and installed it -- acutally it fixed 2 unknown device issue .

I'm confused by the suggestion to bring the drives back online in the host as well. You have to have them offline in order to pass them through to the guest OS. I'd suggest creating the RAID in the host OS, and then taking the array offline and passing it through to the guest. This can cause occasional issues with a striped array, but works great with mirrors.

One other thought; there are many limitations with using the Home Premium version as a guest. It's not really supported. I wonder if that is causing issue with the pass through. It may not be supported in OS less than Pro. Dynamic memory allocation, for example, is not supported in Home Premium.

Sent from my iPad using Tapata

it might be due to the limitation of home premium version but it's the only license I have :-)