RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

HyperV 2012 -- Passthrough hardrive SCSI not seen in VM client ( Windows 7 home premium )

news70

Hello forum ,

I have a 2012 Hyper V running on N54L with one VM client ( windows 7 home premium) running. There are 2 SATA drivers I'd like to have win 7 to manage it as RAID 1 . so I took both drive offline in the host  and added both drives to win 7 under VM setting (SCSI) , all seems good and no error encountered .  however when I re-started Win 7 I can't see the newly added drivers at all . Is there any generic SCSI driver need to be installed in win 7 ( home premium 64 bit) , any thoughts ?

thank you,

oops, that's probably why -- geez , totally forgot to bring them back online, will try it when I am home -- thanks jimwills  

OK, I'm a bit confused news70. If you want the drives to be available to a VM, they have to be OffLine in the host, do they not?

ikon,  in order to add passthrough a physical drive to VM ,  you are right it need to be offline first in host before I can add it into the VM SCSI device -- I did all that,   but my problem is both drive are not available in window 7 ( my VM)  after I restarted VM.   I believe jimwills suggests I should bring them back online then restart VM --- haven't done that yet but will see if it works  tonight .

OK, because, if I shut down a VM and put a drive I have assigned to that VM OnLine in the host OS, and then start the VM back up, it complains bitterly about the drive being missing :)

Actually, if you pass thru a drive and the drive loses power, the VM should refuse to boot.

oh well, it didn't work , brought disk back online in host and got error when I tried to restart vm  -- I ended up creating a drive pool and create shares within the host without bothing disk .passthough .

What about the Guest OS? Are the drives "online" in that?

Also, have you installed the latests Virtual Machine Integration Tools? While they are built into windows.... the disk will provide updated drivers, and may resolve the issue in the guest, as well.

I went to diskpart in windows 7 (Home premium ) and list disk it's not there--- only the vhd for vm is available.

VM integration tools ? you means RSAT ?