RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

WS2012 Connector not working after 8.1 Update on Client PC

Drashna Jaelre

Yup. And if you're a tricky bastard, you can use WDS to create a customized, sysprepped image as well. ;)

Also, Server 2012R2 Essentials is using WDS and the Windows AIK to create bootable images for WDS. So if you have that feature enabled, you have WDS installed. Might as well use it to it's full advantage.

Also, I use WDS to deploy windows on computers I'm working on. That way, I don't need to find a disk. And since it's over gigabit, it's fast.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Rensul

• jmwills

• ikon

• Drashna Jaelre

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Yes - ominous...  I'm going to hold off and wait for the updates to come through Windows Update and even then start with the server and then load up the client PCs carefully.  I just don't care enough

WDS puts back a base image which is totally different than a restore,

I know. That's why I asked. I can't see why anyone would want to install a WDS base image if they have good WHS backups available -- far less work with the WHS image after the restore (updates, apps already installed, browser faves intact, etc.). 'Course, Rensul says it was an excuse to try out WDS, which I can certainly get behind :)

Quick update - The WS2012r2 Connector now works fine on client PCs after the Windows 8.1 Update as long as the Windows 8.1 Update is installed on the server FIRST and then the client PCs.  I used standard Windows Update on the clients and the server and that took care of all the KB messiness that you need to watch out for if attempting to update via direct download like I did before. 

Incidentally, this gave me an excuse to implement Group Policy changes within my domain.  I wanted to make sure my kids didn't "accept" installation of the updates before I had a chance to update the server so I just changed the Group Policy so the updates would only download but not install automatically.  This way I didn't have to go to all 8 PCs and update the settings...  I also tried to hide the update notices but they still came thru so not sure what happened there.  Anyway, kind of cool use-case for Group Policy in a home environment - if you're a total freakin' geek...!!

Rensul

jmwills

Quick update - The WS2012r2 Connector now works fine on client PCs after the Windows 8.1 Update as long as the Windows 8.1 Update is installed on the server FIRST and then the client PCs.  I used standard Windows Update on the clients and the server and that took care of all the KB messiness that you need to watch out for if attempting to update via direct download like I did before. 

Incidentally, this gave me an excuse to implement Group Policy changes within my domain.  I wanted to make sure my kids didn't "accept" installation of the updates before I had a chance to update the server so I just changed the Group Policy so the updates would only download but not install automatically.  This way I didn't have to go to all 8 PCs and update the settings...  I also tried to hide the update notices but they still came thru so not sure what happened there.  Anyway, kind of cool use-case for Group Policy in a home environment - if you're a total freakin' geek...!!

Rensul

This could be an opportunity to investigate WSUS.

Drashna Jaelre

I know. That's why I asked. I can't see why anyone would want to install a WDS base image if they have good WHS backups available -- far less work with the WHS image after the restore (updates, apps already installed, browser faves intact, etc.). 'Course, Rensul says it was an excuse to try out WDS, which I can certainly get behind :)

Because I use it for re-deploying development/testing VMs. 

Also, I use it for when I'm working on computers. Easier to connect to my network and install via WDS than to spend 3 hours looking for a bloody disk. (USB or DVD). Because lord knows I'm a pro at losing stuff.

Speaking of which.... There are 5 or so speaker cables SOMEWHERE in my house. They have to be. Because I had them last week before I cleaned a whole bunch. And I know I didn't toss them.

This could be an opportunity to investigate WSUS.

Isn't having a domain controller excuse enough?  :)

Am not currently running WSUS in my home environment. Have tried in past. Seemed like a headache. Shrug.