RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

WS2012 Connector not working after 8.1 Update on Client PC

This may be a one-off situation but I've noticed the WS2012 Connector is no longer working on an 8.1 Updated Client PC - I can't even locate the "essentialstrayapp.exe" file and the PC shows "offline" on the WS2012 Essentials dashboard.

I've only updated one client PC with the 8.1 update so not sure if it will happen again.  For background, I'm running the client PCs in a domain and I haven't updated the WS2012 server yet with the corresponding 8.1 update.

Anyone else seeing this?

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Rensul

• jmwills

• ikon

• Drashna Jaelre

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Yes - ominous...  I'm going to hold off and wait for the updates to come through Windows Update and even then start with the server and then load up the client PCs carefully.  I just don't care enough

jmwills

Did you also install the update for the Server?   I am presuming this is Essentials R2 since the post is in the section.

This post might be of some help.

http://msmvps.com/blogs/bradley/archive/2014/04/02/all-future-security-and-nonsecurity-updates-for-windows-rt-8-1-windows-8-1-and-windows-server-2012-r2-require-this-update-to-be-installed.aspx

Yes this is for 2012 r2. No I didn't update the server yet as I mentioned. That's probably the safest / smartest thing to do first... Maybe I'm a little surprised by that kind of a pre-requisite however but in hindsight it only makes sense...

jmwills

I'd do a LOT of research on this before I'd apply this update.  It's not what SP1 was to XP but it's close.

From reading the Microsoft articles, it sounds like KB2919442 needs to be installed first then the Windows 8.1 Update but they refer to receiving the update via Windows Update not the ISO you download from Technet. The ISO might not install under the same assumptions in the articles. I'll keep digging...

Yes - ominous...  I'm going to hold off and wait for the updates to come through Windows Update and even then start with the server and then load up the client PCs carefully.  I just don't care enough to figure it out since the regular updates are coming so soon. 

At least it's given me an opportunity to re-image one of my client PCs using Windows Deployment Services - network boot - which worked great.

• Like 1

Right -this just gave me an excuse to try WDS out...  I actually ran into other problems with Secure Boot though.  I just disabled it and did a fresh install.  That's one of the great things about Windows 8 - all the backups we do with our home servers aren't quite as critical since modern apps and onedrive give you inherent backups.  But I still like to know I can get to a previous OS image or file version.