RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

From Gen8 to N54L: First thoughts

riahc3

Well, I went from a Gen8 to a N54L. I cant comment on speed but there is a couple of things I can comment on:

WOW This thing is quiet! No comparison to the Gen8. On a entire other level. If you want quiet, it beats the Gen8.

RAM I got from the Gen8 is compatible with the Gen7.

There are some bad things.

- Does not come with a molex to sata or a sata data cable for ODD drive/5th HDD. Got lucky and I had two of those laying around.

- It is VERY difficult to maintain/install things. It has nothing to do with the Gen8 how easy it is with the Gen8. You gotta unscrew, move cables, etc. Very difficult.

Right now, Ive set the ODD SATA cable/power to the included 250GB HDD and once its done some hours on idle, Ill start installing ESXi, installing both pfSense and WS2012R2 to that HDD with VMs, reconfigure my network, move my HDDs, install StableBit DrivePool....

Im waiting on the HP NC360T and also I bought the remote card from HP for remote access (iLO like access I believe). I might have to get a 8 port switch.

I think different people have different definitions of 'very'. The N54L is basically a faster version of the N40L, which I've worked on. Can't say as I found it 'very' difficult, only 'moderately'.

The N54L isn't as easy to work with as the Gen8.  However, most people plan their build, and only have to take the system apart once, so that's not a real big deal.  If you're filling both card slots and DIMM slots right away, not much else to do when it comes to the system board, and the 5.25" slot isn't hard to work with.

The Gen7 will be quieter at least in part because its fan isn't wired in the same way, but also, it doesn't have the same thermals.  However, the trade-off is that you can't load it quite as hard either.  To each their own on that.  Also, if you want more than one NIC port and you want the remote access card, you are out of slots and can't do hardware RAID.  To some, that's a big deal, to others not.

I have both.  I think the N54L is a great NAS box, or one-OS server.  I think the Gen8 has a lot more capability than that with a bit of expansion, but if you don't need that, then the N54L is fine.

Can't say as I found it 'very' difficult, only 'moderately'.

THe unplugging of cables, moving the fat bundle of cables around, etc is very difficult and a pain in the ass. Ive just left the fat bundle hanging there.

Like I said, different definitions. I didn't get any skinned knuckles while working on the N40L, so that's a 'moderate' for me :)

Like I said, different definitions. I didn't get any skinned knuckles while working on the N40L, so that's a 'moderate' for me :)

I got a small cut on the back side of my wrist. Didnt even notice it still last night.

If you have had a 40/54 for more than 12 months it's been apart more than a few times. Even the guru's on these boards recommend returning this unit to Virgin state before flashing the Bios. How you do that without wrestling the MB out is a mystery. A random selection of YouTube videos seems to confirm that this is not the most willing of patients to work on.

You won't win..

Edited by Essexraptor

I prefer the gen8 to the gen7 n40l i had, much nicer to work on and the added features are great, cant imagine going to a gen 7 from a gen 8...