RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Windows Server 2012 upgrade to R2 on HP N40L?

baltsae

I'm late to the show, and would like to upgrade my HP N40L which has 16 G of ram and Diehard's bios mod from Windows Server 2012 to the R2 version.

The upgrade goes fine with no reported errors in process but just goes on for hours with minimum HD activity. I'm leaving original nic Broadcom NetXtreme Gigabit Ethernet driver 2/23/2012 14.8.1.13 installed with all drives connected. I have one Raid1 setup and rest as regular configured drives(no pools). I also have Hyper-V active w/VM's and all VM's shutdown.

Can anyone share some wisdom with this late comer?

I'm not sure about the N40L but on my N54L I had to do a bios update for the R2 to install.  Maybe you might have to see if there is a new BIOS for it or an updated version of Diehards bios mod.

Thanks, for your input! I don't want to loose the functionality of DieHards Bios  which is performing well for me. I'll likeiy just replace the on board NIC. and give it another try.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks, for your input! I don't want to loose the functionality of DieHards Bios  which is performing well for me. I'll likeiy just replace the on board NIC. and give it another try.

any update ?

ie....... did it work ?

Yes, I turned off the embedded NIC and put 2 new Intel EXP19301CTBLK adapters in the N40L and then installed the Win 2012 Server R2 without issue. I dedicated one adapter to the Hyper-V and all is well. I currently have 2 WD enterprise 2 TB drives in raid1 installed and I've ordered 2 new WD enterprise 3TB drives. I plan to activate the Essentials role when I am comfortable with the hardware install. I currently have running another identical N40L with Win 2012 Essentials in this same domain. I am investigating the potential for conflicts between the two. Ultimately, I will switch over to the R2 server. Any comments or wisdom on my transition is appreciated.

Thanks again for your input! Sure am glad you guys are here and available!

In the MicroServer Forum there's a 10 page thread on installing S2012R2 and S2012R2E on a N36L, N40L, & N54L.

Thanks again for your input! Sure am glad you guys are here and available!

It's a pretty great community we have here; one of a kind I think ;)