RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

2 Remote access Severs?

jmwills

I have done what the OP Wants to do.

You pick the three new ports for the second server, port forward them, and then bind xx443 to the second server's main IIS site.  Boom done.

Everything setup manually.

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• TomatoBoy

• jmwills

• ikon

• Essexraptor

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Yes, but by taking the time to learn this, you can have two portals with Remote Access running from home using one external IP address.  It's really not that hard.   Excellent for someone who is try

I don't modify IIS to do this; I use different ports on my router and redirect them to the default IIS port, but on different IP addressess. For example, I will have my router redirect http://mydomain

TomatoBoy

Ikon, you are correct, they are both reaching our IP. It is definately something in the MS DDNS that is corrupted between the two. If we address the WHS via our IP it is fine.

We actually checked the box not to configure the router when we ran the wizard on the WSE, but it reported that it had attenpted to do so and failed. That was surprising. We did check in manually straight away and our entries were intact but I do wonder if it was at that point the MS/GoDaddy DDNS became corrupted.

why don't we all jump into chat, or skype?

Sure thing. Just had the WSE come back up from a reboot/update. Will check the routes to it via our external IP and report back.

jmwills

Remember, we said if you setup manually if could report back as an error and to ignore it.

They both resolve to the same IP; that's exactly as expected. You only have 1 WAN IP, right? If you've set up the forwards correctly, it shouldn't be a problem. From what I see, homeserver.com and DDNS are set up correctly. IOW, there is no DDNS corruption.

OK, jmwills is gonna get his test WSE2012 set up again and try it. He's also sure this works.

TomatoBoy

Okay, that confirms things have gone a bit pear shaped, our external IP https://xxx.xxx.xx.xx:4443 which should address the WSE box is reaching the WHS box. Am googling for a way to undo the wizard action on the WSE box and remove the remotewebaccess.com MS DDNS entry.

Flush the DNS caches on everything, including your router. If necessary, and it's possible without disrupting service to others, reboot the router.

BTW, your servers have static IPs, correct?

TomatoBoy

They both resolve to the same IP; that's exactly as expected. You only have 1 WAN IP, right? If you've set up the forwards correctly, it shouldn't be a problem. From what I see, homeserver.com and DDNS are set up correctly. IOW, there is no DDNS corruption.

OK, jmwills is gonna get his test WSE2012 set up again and try it. He's also sure this works.

Absolutely sure it will. I think it was running that wizard that broke it. You know what, the two different MS DDNS entries, mydomain.homeserver.com and mydomain.remotewebaccess.com are linked to different Microsoft accounts but point to the same IP. That is not good in the world of Redmond, I am sure.

Edit:

Yes, static IPs. Okay, will flush the DNS caches and reboot again.

Edited by TomatoBoy

Hmmm, I suspect it doesn't matter. The important issue is that the resolved IP is correct.

TomatoBoy

Flushed DNS and rebooted. No change. WHS fine via own external IP but logs into a Windows Server 2012 background via homeserver.com.

How about if I can find a way to reverse out of the homeserver.com and remotewebaccess.com bindings on each machine then remake the one on the WHS and then test?

What do you mean by 'own external IP'? Is this server connected directly to the Internet? It isn't, right?

Try logging into the WHS using homeserver.com. Once logged in, start a CMD window and do an IPCONFIG /ALL, see what IP it is showing.

For the moment, I think trying to reverse the bindings is a red herring. It may also be impossible. The only way may be to restore the servers to a previous backup where they didn't have the bindings. Let's see what's really going on first.