RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

2 Remote access Severs?

TomatoBoy

Okay, have found the problem, but have no idea how to resolve it easily or at all. The certificate that does not match contains the wrong address.

The WHS is mydomain.homeserver.com:x443 and the WSE is mydomain.remotewebaccess.com.

To recap, after logging into the WHS webpage, we tried to connect to computers in the panel on the left.

When trying to connect to a client running Windows 7 Ultimate we get the message:

"Your computer can't connect to the remote desktop computer because the Remote Gateway Desktop server is expecting an authentication method different from the one attempted. Contact your network administrator for assistance."

When trying to connect to the WHS itself from within the webpage we get the message:

".... cannot connect because the Remote Desktop Gateway server address requested and the certificate subject name do not match."

We clicked to view the certificate. It contains the mydomain.remotewebaccess.com address, which is for the WSE. The WHS is expecting the mydomain.homeserver.com certificate. I suspect this is leftover from the original mess the other day.

I really don't know how to begin correcting this, should the certificates be edited or can they be easily replaced with the correct ones. Help much appreciated.

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• TomatoBoy

• jmwills

• ikon

• Essexraptor

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Yes, but by taking the time to learn this, you can have two portals with Remote Access running from home using one external IP address.  It's really not that hard.   Excellent for someone who is try

I don't modify IIS to do this; I use different ports on my router and redirect them to the default IIS port, but on different IP addressess. For example, I will have my router redirect http://mydomain

jmwills

Go to the bindings for the WHS Site and to the xx443 binding.  Edit and see what the default certificate is.  It should be xxx.homeservercom

If not, the drop down should allow you to select it.

TomatoBoy

Edit:

I am very much flying blind here. Just checked in the WHS 2011 IIS and it has the correct certificate installed. Could the error be related to the computer we are using to address the server? Is this computer addressing the WHS as if it is the WSE as they 'share' a WAN IP?

Edit 2:

Cross-posted. Thanks jmwills, will do that now.

Edited by TomatoBoy
jmwills

Remove the connector and start over from that client, or at a minimum delete the certificates from the store on that client.

TomatoBoy

Go to the bindings for the WHS Site and to the xx443 binding.  Edit and see what the default certificate is.  It should be xxx.homeservercom

If not, the drop down should allow you to select it.

It is correct jm, mydomain.homeserver.com

Edited by TomatoBoy
jmwills

Look int he certificate store on the client and delete all Homeserver/Esssentials certificates. Clear all the temp internet files and the cache.  Reboot and try again.

TomatoBoy

Just checked again and the certificate that opens when I press view certificate has the wrong address, mydomain.remotewebaccess.com.

This occurs when we:

1. Access mydomain.homeserver.com:x443 via a browser

2. In left hand pane, 'Computers', click on 'Connect' next to the WHS icon

3. RemoteApp opens and attempts to connect

4. A Remote Desktop Connection message box opens containing:

"Your computer can't connect to the remote desktop computer because the Remote Gateway Desktop server is expecting an authentication method different from the one attempted. Contact your network administrator for assistance."

5. We click on View Certificate

6. The Certificate box opens, showing issued to mydomain.remotewebaccess.com on 6 May 2014

I can confirm that port x443 is bound to mydomain.homeserver.com as it should be.

Where is this mydomain.remotewebaccess.com certificate stored/bount to a port? Can we access it and perhaps select the correct certificate?

Look int he certificate store on the client and delete all Homeserver/Esssentials certificates. Clear all the temp internet files and the cache.  Reboot and try again.

Will do. Makes sense because a couple got stored by me when we were on this the other night, though I must say we had the same issue accessing via an iPad earlier as well. Back shortly, thanks.

TomatoBoy

Checked client via certmgr.msc and unable to find any homeserver/essentials certificates. Am I doing something wrong?

Tried via another client that has never been connected via web access before and it too gets the certificate showing issued to mydomain.remotewebaccess.com on 6 May 2014 and the message box:

I think therefore this is a WHS based issue, not a client problem? Could it be related to GoDaddy having issued two MS domains to the same WAN IP causing a DDNS conflict?

jmwills

Seems to me like TeamViewer would be the simplest solution for the WHS clients.

jmwills

What's the end game with trying to do this?  Run QuickBooks from one of the clients?  If so, use a VPN and forget using an RDP session, plus it will be more secure.