Pepi1677

2 Remote access Severs?

TomatoBoy    1
TomatoBoy

Sorry about the volume of information but this is really helping us fault find.

We removed the port mapping for the WSE entirely and then ran the following:

mydomain.homeserver.com which yielded the proper WHS login page and logged in to the WHS box

mydomain.remotewebaccess.com yielded the proper WHS login page but logged into WSE

Our external IP xxx.xxx.xx.xx yielded the proper WHS login page but logged into WSE

This suggests the issue is with running the Anywhere Remote wizard on the WSE and it somehow mapping its login to our IP and its own bonded domain on the MS dynamic DNS servers. Presuambly it cannot corrupt the WHS box, which still runs fine when it is mapped to default ports on our router and it accesses through its own bonded domain. I propose therefore to remove the mydomain.remotewebaccess bonding from the WSE server, and hopefully the MS dynamic DNS servers and rung with just the one mydomain as set out by Ikon. This seems to suggest that port mapping is okay with a single mydomain, but IIS editing is the route for separate domains? Thoughts please?

jmwills    283
jmwills

I would setup remote access manually and not rely on those wizards.  They have show to be problematic.

TomatoBoy    1
TomatoBoy

I would setup remote access manually and not rely on those wizards.  They have show to be problematic.

That does seem to be our problem jm. We will need to find a way to remove the link to mydomain.remotewebaccess.com on the WSE box.

jmwills    283
jmwills

Just reverse the process and start over.  The second setup will allow you to setup everything manually.  You may see some error that it is not working but ignore it.  The App wants UpnP to be running.

ikon    420
ikon

As jmwills said, the wizards can be problematic. They usually work fine if someone is prepared to leave UPnP enabled on their router (something I don't recommend). However, that wouldn't work in your situation anyway because of having 2 servers.

I'm sure there must be some manual way to set up DDNS on a WHS or WSE, but I don't know what it is, so I think you did need to run the wizard on 1 of the servers, in order to get the DDNS part set up. I run the wizard, but I tell it I want to set up my router manually. I'm not sure it would be a great idea to have 2 DDNS clients on your network. I'm not sure it would cause any harm, but it should not be necessary.

BTW, I actually said I do NOT have 2 servers.

I still believe you should only need 1 domain. Really, the only thing the mydomain.homeserver.com URL does is provide a way of getting your WAN IP address, dynamically. By dynamically I mean that the name resolution will work fine, and changes to your WAN IP will get automatically updated, as long as you are using a domain that's registered with 1 of the 2 supported registrars, and either your WHS or WSE know about it. If your prepared to run a 3rd party DDNS tool, you could use any 1 of a host of other DDNS providers.

At this point, I would go back to the config I originally suggested, but this time do NOT set up external ports 80, 443, and 4125 -- use 8180, 5443, and 54125. IOW, set it up on your router like this:

1. port 8080 to port 80 at address 192.168.1.10
  2. port 4443 to port 443 at address 192.168.1.10
  3. port 44125 to port 4125 at address 192.168.1.10
  4. port 8180 to port 80 at address 192.168.1.20
  5. port 5443 to port 443 at address 192.168.1.20
  6. port 54125 to port 4125 at address 192.168.1.20

And please double & triple check the port forwards. From your description, it really sounds like you had 2 ports going to the same server.

Here's what I'm hoping you'll see: you will get to the security certificate page on both servers. If this happens it proves the Port Forwarding is working. The fact that you can't log in successfully at that point has nothing to do with Port Forwarding; it's related to the certificates not being valid. That's a different issue.

JMWILLS: anything you take exception to?

TomatoBoy    1
TomatoBoy

jmwills, sorry, I am not following, I get your reasoning but we are having to learn every new action. It is not clear to me how to deal with the corruption in the homeserver.com database.

Starting afresh and leaving aside accessing the WSE until we get the WHS access back to normal, we currently have our own external IP address reaching the WHS normally but mydomain.homeserver.com reaching the WHS login page but logging into WSE. Somewhere when we linked mydomain.remotewebaccess.com to WSE, the MS database got muddled/corrupted with both domains pointing to our IP and what each should address.

How please can that be reversed. Sorry for asking what may be obvious.

Edit:

Ikon, we cross posted. Yes, I totally understand that. Clearly then it was the running of the wizard on the second server that has caused the damage. I need a way of abandoning that remotewebserver.com dynamic DNS with Microsoft in order to fix the issue and go again with the manual routing.

Any ideas please?

Guys, thank you immensely. We are so very grateful.

Edited by TomatoBoy

jmwills    283
jmwills

Why is DDNS entering into this on your part.  Who controls the Domain names?  Microsoft or some third party?

ikon    420
ikon

PING both URLs. I don't know what you actually have for 'mydomain' so I can't help with that, but you can do it. See what IP(s) are returned when you PING each of them. Nominally, I would think it would be the same IP, but let's see.

Why is DDNS entering into this?

That's how homeserver.com works. When you run the wizard, and let's assume we're using UPnP for the moment, it sets up the router and then configures the server to do DDNS updates to GoDaddy, the provider MS uses by default for homeserver.com.

jmwills, is there ANY way you can think of whereby they could be reaching the login page on the WHS2011 but when they log in they're sent to the WSE2012? Is that even remotely possible?

jmwills    283
jmwills

I understand that but this should be transparent for him, no action required.

I thought MS was using someone in Australia for DNS.

ikon    420
ikon

why don't we all jump into chat, or skype?