Pepi1677

2 Remote access Severs?

131 posts in this topic

I spotted the error... sorry  :(

Roles > Web Server (IIS) > Internet Information Services (IIS) Manager > Click on your server name in the panel named Connections > Sites > Default Web Site > (Actions Pane) Bindings > Scroll down to HTTPS and click on to highlight and select Edit

That should help......

I don't modify IIS to do this; I use different ports on my router and redirect them to the default IIS port, but on different IP addressess. For example, I will have my router redirect http://mydomain.com:8000 to 192.168.1.50:80 on my LAN and http://mydomain.com:8001 to 192.168.1.51:80.

1 person likes this

I don't modify IIS to do this; I use different ports on my router and redirect them to the default IIS port, but on different IP addressess. For example, I will have my router redirect http://mydomain.com:8000 to 192.168.1.50:80 on my LAN and http://mydomain.com:8001 to 192.168.1.51:80.

another way of doing it .... if your router supports redirection on port forwarding ...

neat   :)

There are very few routers that don't and, for the price of one that does, just buy one. Also, if the router supports Tomato or DD-WRT, that will also work.

Gents, a quick question related to the redirection on port forwarding option, if I may please. We already use the method to redirect magic beans for WOL, but are unsure how it relates to xxxx.homeserver.com addressing and would appreciate some clarification.

Suppose we have a WHS 2011 box set up for remote browser access via the inbuilt system using ourlan.homeserver.com with the usual ports 80, 443 and 4125 redirected to the server IP in the router gateway.

We add a WSE 2012 box and do the redirect trick, so 80, 443 and 4125 continue to point to those ports on the WHS, whilst 8080, 80443 and 804125 point to 80, 443 and 4125 on the WSE.

Clearly ourlan.homeserver.com will continue to access the WHS but What port would we specify in the URL to reach the WSE server, is it ourlan.homeserver.com:443 or something else please? I am unclear if the built in access system us some form of hybrid looking at the URL on the WHS during access. We would like to retain the full functionality of the remote access.

We want to organise full remote access of both servers as well. We don't want to RDP using port forwarding, even with port redirection to mask open ports, so VPN seems the obvious method unless Team Viewer will do it? We no longer have a static IP and use no-ip for WOL.

Actually, in retrospect, I can see why both machines would need redirects to avoid traffic fir both heading to the one using the default ports.

In most situations you will need 6 forwards. Many routers want to reserve ports 80 and 443 for themselves (although a number do allow you to override). I find it safer to just put in Forwards for all ports.

Thanks Ikon, that is what we shall do then, six forwards. Presumably the remote listening port on one box should be changed as well as the redirects, to allow proper function on both boxes?

So, given we shall have two servers in the network, what address should we type for each as presumably we now need to include a port number to define which box we want to reach?

For instance, we used to simply enter the URL subdomain.homeserver.com and reach the WHS. Given that one box is on let's say 8080 and 4443, whilst the other is on say 8180 and 5433, are we adding :8080 and :8180 respectively to the URLs or :4433 and :5433 to address the boxes? The public or secure ports?

I guess the question is what port does subdomain.homeserver.com reach in its default mode? We should perhaps just use that?

Am I barking up the wrong tree?

Edited by TomatoBoy

On one of the servers you will have to bind the odd ports to the IIS site.

So, for instance  where port 40443 is bound to IIS on the second server.

The vast majority of SOHO routers will only let you bind one port to one IP Address, so this is why you can't use 80 and 443 for both servers.

Can we not just redirect the six ports (2 sets of three) on the router as above?

Anyone on addressing the modified port server URLs? https://xxx.xxx.x.x:443 (or mapped port) perhaps?

Edited by TomatoBoy