RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

BIOS Changing... By Itself?

emdiesse

Hi,

I have searched for this issue and find nothing related - or maybe my search terms are just duff.

My N54L works perfectly, except that is sometime when I boot it up again I can't see it on my network so I run upstairs turn on the monitor and see that it's sat there complaining about there being no bootable media. Then in my BIOS it had changed all by itself! (REALLY!?).

th_IMG_20140327_225619760_zps5aahbguz.jp right_arrow.png th_IMG_20140327_225545705_zpslu8vd5hk.jp

I changed it back to what it should be and again everything works smoothly.

It's reoccuring, but I haven't worked out why :(.

I'm hoping I am not the only one who is experiencing this and that there is a simple resolution :).

Thanks,

Matt

Are you running the newest BIOS?

How are you remotely booting it?

The only times that I have seen anything like this is if the hard drive or the battery are going bad.

What other drives are in the system? Are there any USB drives attached?

Following on from schoondoggy, this might be an issue where the BIOS is trying to read the selected boot drive, but for some reason it can't. Perhaps the drive simply isn't responding quickly enough and the BIOS thinks it isn't there, so it prompts for a boot source. Something to check out anyway.....

Does the N54L have a dual bios? if so it may revert upon reboot to the second chip. I found this with some motherboards that you have to flash it. Reboot & Flash to flash both bios chips.

Does the N54L have a dual bios? if so it may revert upon reboot to the second chip. I found this with some motherboards that you have to flash it. Reboot & Flash to flash both bios chips.

Nope! Not unless someone forgot to tell HP.

Just re-flash it anyway.... :)

Hi,

I have searched for this issue and find nothing related - or maybe my search terms are just duff.

My N54L works perfectly, except that is sometime when I boot it up again I can't see it on my network so I run upstairs turn on the monitor and see that it's sat there complaining about there being no bootable media. Then in my BIOS it had changed all by itself! (REALLY!?).

th_IMG_20140327_225619760_zps5aahbguz.jp right_arrow.png th_IMG_20140327_225545705_zpslu8vd5hk.jp

I changed it back to what it should be and again everything works smoothly.

It's reoccuring, but I haven't worked out why :(.

I'm hoping I am not the only one who is experiencing this and that there is a simple resolution :).

Thanks,

Matt

I don't know if this is your situation but I've found the boot order gets scrambled if I'm moving around (plugging/unplugging) USB connected drives and If I added a lot of drives internally.  You can check the blog posts from the #2012Meetup when I was changing out the OS drives in an IcyDock DuoSwap and one of the steps I had to take was to go into BIOS and correct the Boot order after changing several drives.

I don't know if this is your situation but I've found the boot order gets scrambled if I'm moving around (plugging/unplugging) USB connected drives and If I added a lot of drives internally.  You can check the blog posts from the #2012Meetup when I was changing out the OS drives in an IcyDock DuoSwap and one of the steps I had to take was to go into BIOS and correct the Boot order after changing several drives.

I'd forgotten about this, but I too have had this happen with my WHS2011 box, and it's not a MicroServer of any kind.