RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Scheduling Backup Time

mysticgeek

So, I've finally started testing out Vail ... so far so good. One thing that I believe is missing is the ability to schedule backup times? So far I've only found through the Dashboard is adding or removing backup items or Disabling backup. Anyone know if there's something I'm missing? I am assuming the feature may be missing due to it being in beta. Thanks guys.

So, I've finally started testing out Vail ... so far so good. One thing that I believe is missing is the ability to schedule backup times? So far I've only found through the Dashboard is adding or removing backup items or Disabling backup. Anyone know if there's something I'm missing? I am assuming the feature may be missing due to it being in beta. Thanks guys.

You can setup scheduled backups,

Check out this post by Timothy Daleo http://usingwindowshomeserver.com/2010/06/05/windows-server-code-name-vail-beta-backup-video-edition/

That's for scheduling the server backups only. Right? As far as I know, there's still no ability to schedule the client backups.

Yeah, I should of been more clear in my first post. I was looking at creating a schedule for clients. And I haven't found a way to do it either...yet.

From the article I referenced above:

Intelligent automatic scheduling allows more computers to be backed up.

You can interpret this in many ways, but it looks like MS is trying to remove the manual scheduling portion. Perhaps it will be an opportunity for someone to develop an add-in.

You might also use the task scheduler on each client to automatically launch the backup process that can be selected in the Launchpad, but that would require manually setting it on each client.

John - Do you maintain an index of how to's for all these things? You are like the answer man!

He must, I have been calling him the link man for months. There is almost nothing he can't answer or find a link to.

From the article I referenced above:

Intelligent automatic scheduling allows more computers to be backed up.

You can interpret this in many ways, but it looks like MS is trying to remove the manual scheduling portion. Perhaps it will be an opportunity for someone to develop an add-in.

You might also use the task scheduler on each client to automatically launch the backup process that can be selected in the Launchpad, but that would require manually setting it on each client.

As I see it, someone's making assumptions that they shouldn't. The midnight to 6AM window may be fine for most of us that work the normal 8-5 time slot but may not be as nice for someone that works different hours. I can't see why they can't allow the user to slide that window to a different time slot, for all clients, or for individual clients.

(I wonder if one could find the setting in the registery...... hmmmmm)

• 1 month later...

I have posted on this on the connect site. It irritates me no end that windoze update is scheduled during most home server users automatic backup time, so often 1 or more computers (including the server) decides to automatically shut down and reboot during backup.

My suggestion was that the connector software (on both versions) should reassign timings for updates (or backups) automatically. Of course an option to change the backup timing on installation of the connector software would work just as well.

My irritation is with the fact that Microsoft know what times both updates and backups (mostly) occur yet they didn't foresee this rather obvious conflict