RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Best(easy to implement) opensource NAS operation systems under Hyper-V 2012

hello forum,

what's the forum's consensus regarding a opensource NAS OS under hyper-V ?  I did some  search around it seems that freenas ( 9.x ) is not supported by hyper v 2012 yet . -- I just need something simple but reliable (RAID 1 , hopefully I can take advantage on the HP N54L firmware RAID1 setup ,  I have a win 7 home license currently running as VM under hyper V 2012) .   .

thanks.

Thanks for the suggestion.

on amazon it's listed at 59 ( 3 dollar  less than listed price ) , nothing found in newegg .

Drashna Jaelre

Well, if you have Windows 7 running in a VM, why not use that as a NAS? You already have it, and it can be setup to do the shared folders, at least.

And yeah, not on newegg currently

win 7  ? hmm , where is the NAS control panel ? I have a laptop running windows 7 home premium too but can't find it.

Edit: oops , never mind, found the answer ...

Edited by news70
timekills

This probably isn't the answer you're hoping for but using a NAS OS under Hyper-V is a doubly bad idea.

1) Pass through of drives isn't completely transparent. It's better with 2012 than 2008, but not a true passthrough ala ESXI

2) They're all based on a Linux or BSD OS. With a few notable supported (enterprise class) Linux exceptions, this means using a degraded virtual NIC and subsequent degraded network performance. Something you probably don't want with a network attached storage system.

I'm not a fan of VM build NAS systems period. But I'd look more to Xen or VMware before Hyper-V.

Drashna Jaelre

You mean the shares?

Computer management (compmgmt.msc), under the "Shared folders" section.

This lists all the shares, active sessions and open files. You can create shares here, change the permissions on them, remove them, etc. 

Great section.

As for creating the shares, I'd recommend set it to "everyone" with full access, and fall back onto NTFS for specific permissions.

This is actually what WHS2011, and Server 2012 (R2) Essentials does. It's much, much easier to manage, and less issues (I'm looking at you, WHSv1).

was looking for interface to configure RAID1 in windows7, but now I realized that if I use the RAIDI setting in BIOS, windows should see only 1 drive , so the "shares" information definitely helps , thanks

Essexraptor

For straight up non production lab stuff..... go for server edition Ubuntu and load the modules that you want to play with.... ie LAMP etc

Consider OpenMediaVault to load as a VM as well...

To get closer to enterprise level (Redhat) try out Centos

Edited by Essexraptor