RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

network client for server backup

uncleaelfrich

I am currently running WHS 2011, primarily as a home server, and for backup, I have crashplan backing up the entire server, but I am not using the WHS 2011 backup. I figured if my server crashed , I could always restore by installing fresh whs from disk and then downloading data (if need be) from crashplan.

My wife has a home based business, but she uses office365 and right networks for cloud computing with smartvault as her data drive. She only uses my WHS 2011 box for redundant backup.

I use the home server for a shared home document drive, pictures, movies, downloads, etc. I would also like the flexibility of expanding it to more business roles should the opportunity to do so presents itself.

I am wanting to move to essentials r2, and I want to use domains. From what I understand, by using domains, I want to do a bare metal restore rather than install new from disk. So, I'm looking at backup options.

I have an old atom processor board that is not being used right now. I was thinking I could set it up as a FreeNas and then backup the server from the server to the FreeNAS box using iscsi.

Is this the way to go? Am I overthinking this? Thanks for any help.

John 

Los Angeles

are you saying to put whs 2011 on a machine with my atom board and back up server 2012 r2 essentials to the machine running whs 2011?

Are you talking about backup and restore for clients or for the server?

2012 R2 E will do BMR for clients in a breeze better than any previous versions.

The in built server backup is fine especially if you backup to the cloud as well as an external disk.

Or am I not understanding your question!

I am talking about backing up the server to a machine located on the network but not in the same room as my server. I am trying to meet the goal of redundancy. And since I will be using domains, I want to be able to do a BMR of the server (or of at least the operating system and associated files) should I have to.

Use the built in Server Backup App locally and export those files to another location on the network, if not offsite. And that's not "redundancy" but rather quick recovery.  Frankly I could care less about the OS as long as my data is secure.

Yes, you can create a backup of the server to a network location, but the location would have to be a Windows compatible folder share.

Are you planning to back up the whole server to the location, or only the OS drive?

Are you planning to back up your Windows client computers using the WSE2012r2 facility? If not, can I ask why not?

Yes, you can create a backup of the server to a network location, but the location would have to be a Windows compatible folder share.

Are you planning to back up the whole server to the location, or only the OS drive?

Are you planning to back up your Windows client computers using the WSE2012r2 facility? If not, can I ask why not?

I am only planning on backing up the OS drive. Crashplan is backing up the entire server.

And yes, I would be using essentials to back up client computers.

In that case almost any box that can present an accessible share should work for backing up the OS drive. You should be able to even use iSCSI as a backup destination.

I do wonder, however, if it's possible to do a BMR of the server's OS drive from an iSCSI drive. I say that because I'm not at all sure the Restore program has any iSCSI capability. I've never tried this myself and I recommend you investigate it a bit before proceeding.