RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

SSD / Floppy Connector Mod

Darkk

After reading through the posts about the HP's decision to only include a floppy connector in the ODD bay I decided to rebel that and mod the connector.  Yes I know I can purchase the HP adapter kit but why?  So I went ahead and snipped off the floppy connector and replaced it with a standard female molex connector.  I soldered the spliced connections and used shrink tubing it looks pretty clean now without using additional adapters.  I probably could could have gone a bit further to use a sata power connector but I wanted the flexibility of a molex connector.    Below are some pics from the mod I did and placement of the SSD drive.  If are you wondering about the shiny tape.  It's actually aluminum duct tape.  Very strong and easy to manage.  

Enjoy!

HP Server1.jpg

HP Server2.jpg

Hello,

I do have a question.

When  you would have an ODD, what would be your next option?

I'm still trying to figure out how to keep both ODD while having an SSD on the top of the Optical Drive.

Thanks!

I have not tried this, but there may be room to put a 5mm SSD on top of the ODD. You will need another SATA port to run both. 

I wonder if it's possible to stack 4 ssd's on the schoon mount by using the side screws and some small brackets.... I keep thinking about then you can run 4x thin ssd's + odd + 4 in the bay with the P222

Yes it is with 7MM SSD. I designed small stacking tabs and found very thin wafer head screws to make it work. 

Eight tabs and sixteen screws would be $20 + $23 for the SDM plus shipping.

Do you think there would be interest in it?