RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Puzzled installing Win Server 2012 Essentials R2

justaguy

I'm setting up a Gen 8 for my home server and one thing has me puzzled.

I put a 1tb sata2 drive bay 1, set the controller to RAID, created a RAID 0 array, and installed using intelligent provisioning (1.60) and everything worked fine. This was a "dry run" to make sure iTunes and Tivo Desktop would work.

Next I removed the 1tb drive. Installed my Kingston Hyperx 240gb SSD in the ODD area, ran a cable to port 5, create a RAID 0 array, and installed using intelligent provisioning. As I loaded up iTunes, Tivo Desktop I noticed that every few minutes the Gen 8 would just seem to "pause". I shutdown and added a couple of drives (bays 3&4) in a 2nd RAID 0 array for data and started copy over my Tivo archive files and iTunes library. Still getting the "pause" while copy files other the network to the two drive RAID 0 array. Processor, network, and disk I/O drop to 0 and the Gen8 will not respond to keyboard input or mouse clicks (the screen cursor does still follow mouse movement).

I removed the SSD but the 1tb drive back in bay 1 and not only do I not get the hang or pause delay but the Gen8 "feels" faster than with the SSD. CrystalDiskMark showed sequential Read/Write test in the 250MBs range which I think is about right for a SSD on a SATA 2 port.

Any ideas? For now I'm just continuing to setup with the 1tb drive in bay 1. I really wanted all 4 bays for data.

Thanks

Michael

To be clear --this "port 5" you are using; is that the SATA port the ODD would normally use?

Also, is the SSD (and your B120i onboard controller on the HP) updated to the latest firmware?

Edited by LoneWolf

Yes the SSD was connected to the SATA port on the motherboard for the ODD.

First thing out of the box (this is a new Gen8) I ran the update process first as suggested on the Gen 8 link page. The SSD was updated before I removed it from a working Win 8.1 install.

Interesting you say this as I get the occasional pause while moving large files the controller just grinds to a halt but mouse still responds..

Have you tried a different data cable?

Is it possible the controller is caching data and cannot clear it to the drive quickly enough? Perhaps there is a handshake issue between the drive and RAID controllers. Is controller logging available?