RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Wake on Lan - Trying to save on the power Bill

c0op3r

I am in the process of re-doing some of the hardware on WHS 'home build'. As part of this I would like to remove my Linksys NAS200 from my network, it used to house the files that are now stored on the WHS. The NAS200 had/has (2) 1Tb Seagate HDs, the nice thing about this unit was that it used almost no power and was quite and small, the down side is/was that it did not have many of the features that the WHS box has.

I have copied all the files from the NAS200 to the (2) 2Tb WD Green Drives, now here is the thing; being that the WHS is a real computer with a Pentium D, MSI MotherBoard, 300 Watt Power Supply and extra fans in a Rackmount case, it makes alot more Noise & Heat and of course draws more power.

I have never setup the Wake-On-LAN thing before, is there anything special that needs to be done to the configuration of the WHS OS to make this work correctly? I am sure that I can find the settings in the BIOS of the MB and get that part setup correctly.

Any suggestions, notes or tips are appreciated.

• 2 weeks later...

Take a look at the add-in Lights out. I think it will do what you want.

My linkhttp://addins.home-server-blog.de/verwaltung/lightsout/#en

I did take a look at LightsOut! And from what I could see it would not do what I wanted. It seems to be primarily for scheduling start-up and shut-down times for the server. I did not see anywhere in the documentation for it where it had the ability to do remote start-ups.

I did however figure out how to do it from within the DD-WRT software in my Linksys Router, there is a section for WOL (Wake-On LAN), you simply choose the device that you want to be able to wake, with a check box, having enable that feature in the BIOS of said machine. You will from that point on have a Box available the says 'Wake' using that box the machine springs to life!

I am sure that there might be an easier or maybe more effective way to implement this remote turn on, but this works for me, no add-ons for the WHS is needed and I can now turn-on and turn-off the remote machine.

• 1 month later...

As an update to my Wake-On-Lan, the Lights-Out program won't really work for me as I do not have my server on a schedule I like to turn it on when needed and off when not, it is remote from me in a small server rack(there are also more then one remote servers in the rack [4 to be exact]). So here is two of the solution/work a rounds I have found:

I use DD-WRT on my Wireless Router, in DD-WRT, there is WOL option (Log into the administration page [usually 192.168.1.1], choose the Administration tab, choose the WOL sub tab, check the box for the host that you want to wake in the Available Host section. This will add the host to the WOL Addresses, section which is directly below the Available Host, from that point on all you have to do is log back into the Administration page and click the WAKE UP button for the unit you would like to wake. I personally just put a quick link at the top of my browser to get me to the Administration page of DD-WRT. Yes its not the most graceful way, but its better then getting up and walking over to the machine(s). Also if anyone needs help with this let me know I can post picture/screen shots.

Method Two - is a little more graceful; I found a Vista/Win7 Gadget that will do WOL. The gadget is called simply enough Wake On Lan Gadget, this is pretty much just what it sounds like, it puts a simple gadget on the desktop that you put the MAC address into and it wakes the unit(s) up. If you only have one machine to wake, its perfect, if you have more then one it will handle it but, it would be nice if the pull down menu for the others was not in the setup screen, but again it will do it and its faster then the above method.

I have been wanting to try DD-WRT for a while. My D-link DGL-4300 Gaming Router has treated me very well. Which router are you using? The wake on LAN feature has me very intrigued.

I have been wanting to try DD-WRT for a while. My D-link DGL-4300 Gaming Router has treated me very well. Which router are you using? The wake on LAN feature has me very intrigued.

I am using LINKSYS, My newest unit is a WRT54GS version 2. It works great, and it was one of the ones that has a larger amount of memory for the DD-WRT Flash. But I have several other Linksys Units they all work equally as well.