RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
schoondoggy

Dell T20

ikon

@ikon Enterprise drives are not rated to operate at higher max temperatures.

Rated or not, my experience is that enterprise drives almost always run hotter than desktop ones, and withstand those temperatures better. I have no inside knowledge as to why this is so, but I have always assumed it's because the drives are built to a more rugged spec and that partly explains why they cost more.

A perfect example is the Dell GX space saver series, the GX260, GX270, etc. They came with desktop drives and the tight confines of the case, combined with the lack of internal cooling, cooked those drive right, left, and center. We had hundreds replaced under warranty. But, when I pulled some of these cooked drives, I remarked to my colleagues, "You know, this drive IS hot, but not as hot as many of the drives in our NAS units, and those drives just keep truckin'."

Kaiser2000

So I received the extra cables for the PERC and decided over the weekend to blow the whole thing away and rebuild it as a RAID 5 array

But, when I do that, the OS (server 2012 R2) bluescreens during the first part of the setup (fault in non-paged area errors) but strangely it works fine as a RAID 0?

I even installed a stand-alone drive as a RAID 0 with the 3 WD's as a RAID 5 and installed to the first drive but same problem..

A bit more reading is suggesting these H310s are actually crap and I probably should have gone for a H710  - another 150+ quid! :(

Running the latest A03 BIOS and latest firmware on the card - Anyone encountered similar, or have any suggestions?

mdss

Are you using secure boot? Can you get into the controller's BIOS?

Also, have you thought about flashing it to the LSI firmware instead of Dell's?

Kaiser2000

Are you using secure boot? Can you get into the controller's BIOS?

Also, have you thought about flashing it to the LSI firmware instead of Dell's?

No not using secure boot - can get into the controller BIOS alright which is how I'm setting up the arrays

Haven't tried the LSI firmware though. Will that flash over the existing DELL firmware?

mdss

No. You'll have to erase the existing firmware & BIOS first, then flash the new one (and the new BIOS if you want to.)

But I would use a small SSD (40GB - 64GB) for the OS, connected to one of the on-board Intel SATA and use the PERC just for the large array(s).

• Like 1

Kaiser2000

I've spent the evening messing with this and from all I can determine (having swapped slots, removed the extra RAM and video card, installed a 4th drive) the issue is that when configured in RAID 5 the system becomes very unstable with various blue screen errors.

The only way it'll run stable is with the 3 disks in one array (RAID 0). Memtest comes back clean.

For $60 it's not worth the aggravation at this stage so I'm going to contact the seller and see about a refund. So, has anyone any recommendations for a replacement card that they've tested/used on this machine and won't cost me the guts of $200?

Cheers.

Edited by Kaiser2000

tx.canyon

Look into the RocketRaid 27xx series

ikon

What kind of drives are you using: SATA or SAS?

jmwills

I don't think those will work.  IIRC, you need "forward breakout cables".