RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
schoondoggy

Dell T20

mdss

WD Reds will be fine in the T20. Running them (almost) constantly at 32c, 36c, 39c-41c depending on airflow and ambient temps will not affect their reliability. What can affect it is high frequency temperature gradient!

Even low platter count 7200 drives would be fine in the T20 with no custom drive cooling as long as you keep them running and don't vary the ambient too much. High platter count and performance drives won't work in the T20 (except with very low and controlled ambient temps).

ikon

I still prefer to keep my drives below 35C; even better, below 30C.

mdss

ikon I challenge you to keep 12x 15k rpm drives at 29c (that's under 30c) in an office room where you (or other people) spend 8h a day :)

I'm not saying you can't, but what are you gaining with that? You can as well keep them at 43c more or less, winter and summer, with not that much of an effort and you'll get pretty much the same ROI (using them), but less hassle.

A server room full of populated racks and 3000+ drives is a different scenario.

Edited by mdss

ikon

I think that's comparing apples and oranges. I wouldn't be using 15K drives at home. Nor would I be trying to keep them under 30C. These are premium, enterprise drives that are designed to withstand higher temperatures, not at all comparable to the typical drives used in homes.

schoondoggy

The latest Seagate Barracuda have a operating range of 0-60c oddly, 15k Seagate drives have a operating range of 5-55c. Regardless of drive speed, the operating temp of drives is related to the semiconductor chips on the drive.

Sent from my Venue 8 Pro 5830 using Tapatalk

ikon

I'm not sure I've ever felt one of these little 2.5" screamers that wasn't above 55C when pulled out of it's NAS home.

Kaiser2000

Like I told you early in this thread, the Pentium will do just fine for your 2 VMs.

A few questions:

How many drives do you have in the system? Just the 3 WDs? Do you boot the host off an SSD? Do you boot the 2 VMs off the RAID 0?

If you're not using more than 4 drives, why do you need the PERC? Do you plan to connect more than 4 drives to the PERC? Keep in mind that the very bottom PCIe slot is electrically 4-lane.

What Radeon HD model did you put in there? I'm asking because I'm interested in it's power consumption as I think you put it in the PCIe 3 x16 slot.

And what 4GB memory did you get paired with the stock 4GB Hynix?

Sorry for the delay coming back on this..

Yes I bought the PERC with the idea of future expansion in mind.. figured I might as well get all the bits now and can then add over time.

Currently there's 3 3TB WD Red drives in there and no issues with cooling so far.. machine runs virtually silent most of the time.

I happened to have a HD 5450 lying around so I threw it in mainly for the HDMI port - can just plug it into the TV rather than getting out the old monitor.

Bought the RAM from eBay.. can't tell the original brand as the reseller had their own sticker on it but it works fine.

One slight problem though........

I've installed OMSA 7.3 and flashed the PERC to the latest firmware I could find (20.12.0-004) but while OMSA sees the card in the slot, under Storage it says there's no controllers found.

Anyone seen similar or have any suggestions?

Cheers!

mdss

The latest version is 7.4

It adds support for 2012 R2 and for a few LSI HBAs (although your PERC should've been supported already).

Edited by mdss

mdss

@ikon Enterprise drives are not rated to operate at higher max temperatures.

My point was not to compare them to the regular desktop drives, but to give an example of spinning drives that are more difficult to have their temp controlled. Trying to keep them at 25c would cost you more, can break more often, and would not benefit you at all, when the drives can operate 24x7 at 45c just fine.

Again, high rpm enterprise drives were just an example.

Your regular desktop drives would stay at 45c-47c possibly with no cooling. The cost to get that to, let's say 38-40 isn't much. No reason to keep them at <30.

Edited by mdss

Kaiser2000

The latest version is 7.4

It adds support for 2012 R2 and for a few LSI HBAs (although your PERC should've been supported already).

That's what I thought too.. 7.3 or above. Just upgraded to 7.4 though but still no joy :(

Will reboot it and try again though - just updating some of the VMs