RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
schoondoggy

Dell T20

BIGGRIMTIM

Same here. Can't get WOL working. Enabled WOL in BIOS and OS. Running Windows 2012 R2.

Did you get WOL working, BIGGRIMTIM?

Anyone have any suggestions?

Still no luck for me.

mdss

I haven't tried it yet, but I'll check it today and get back later, hopefully with a solution.

I know Dell servers (and latest generations of their workstations) will put the system into D0 after plugging the power cord.

I remember I wrote a small utility program that wakes any machine on a local network by MAC address. I'll see if I can find it and try it out on the T20.

If you put any additional NIC into the T20 just make sure only ONE of the NICs has WOL enabled so you don't overload the 3.3V power source.

mdss

Ok, so I can confirm that WoL works on the T20 using the A02 BIOS version. The A03 doesn't work as it looks like it's not honoring the Deep Sleep settings.

Using the A02 with the Hybrid Shutdown turned off in Windows works as expected. The system shuts down and the NIC remains in a low power state (100Mbps I guess, as the LED gets green) and it receives the broadcasted packets.

Using the A03 the NIC gets powered off on system shutdown no matter how you set hybrid shutdown or deep sleep. The only way to turn the NIC back on without booting the system is to put the system into G3 (physically switching the power off) and only reconnect it after all the auxiliary power disappears (like 10-15 seconds). Then the system starts and gets into D0 uninitialized and the NIC LED turns green.

I tested with two T20s side by side. Personally I won't switch back to the A02 version (I don't even know if it is supported) as I don't rely on WoL and probably Dell will soon fix it with an A04 BIOS.

ikon

Nice detective work mdss.

BIGGRIMTIM

Thank you for the info.  I am on A03.  I hope this is fixed soon.

BigPike

I have switched between A02 and A03 without any issues at all. And I must say I prefer A03 over A02. I hope they fix the WOL bug soon.

Edited by BigPike

Kaiser2000

Just thought I'd update..

So my T20 arrived last week and I set about installing all the extra bits I ordered (I may have blown the budget I set!)

Very easy tool-less install.. extra 4GB RAM, 3x 3TB drives, a Radeon HD card, and the PERC H310 all in place within 5 mins - however the PERC only came with 1 cable so I've had to order a 2nd one :(

Still, in the meantime I have it up and running with 2 of the drives in RAID 0 which I'll convert to RAID 5 when I get the cable for the other drive (I'll probably add a 4th 3TB drive yet).

Running Server 2012 R2 DataCentre as the Host and 2 2012 Standard Hyper-Vs performing AD/DC/DHCP/DNS/WSUS duties on one, and a Media server on the other.

It's whisper quiet.. I can't get over how quiet it is! Also, while I was concerned that the Pentium wouldn't be up to it, so far there's been no performance issues, although I'll probably add another 4/8GB RAM as well

It also looks a lot nicer and neater beside the TV than the previous Precision 690 I had. I'm hoping the near silent performance means it'll be easier on the electric bill too.

All in all very happy with it so far :)

Edited by Kaiser2000

mdss

Like I told you early in this thread, the Pentium will do just fine for your 2 VMs.

A few questions:

How many drives do you have in the system? Just the 3 WDs? Do you boot the host off an SSD? Do you boot the 2 VMs off the RAID 0?

If you're not using more than 4 drives, why do you need the PERC? Do you plan to connect more than 4 drives to the PERC? Keep in mind that the very bottom PCIe slot is electrically 4-lane.

What Radeon HD model did you put in there? I'm asking because I'm interested in it's power consumption as I think you put it in the PCIe 3 x16 slot.

And what 4GB memory did you get paired with the stock 4GB Hynix?

mdss

It looks like the A04 BIOS update is on it's way to be released (possibly this week)!

Edit: WoL issues addressed

Edited by mdss

schoondoggy

Just thought I'd update..

So my T20 arrived last week and I set about installing all the extra bits I ordered (I may have blown the budget I set!)

Very easy tool-less install.. extra 4GB RAM, 3x 3TB drives, a Radeon HD card, and the PERC H310 all in place within 5 mins - however the PERC only came with 1 cable so I've had to order a 2nd one :(

Still, in the meantime I have it up and running with 2 of the drives in RAID 0 which I'll convert to RAID 5 when I get the cable for the other drive (I'll probably add a 4th 3TB drive yet).

Running Server 2012 R2 DataCentre as the Host and 2 2012 Standard Hyper-Vs performing AD/DC/DHCP/DNS/WSUS duties on one, and a Media server on the other.

It's whisper quiet.. I can't get over how quiet it is! Also, while I was concerned that the Pentium wouldn't be up to it, so far there's been no performance issues, although I'll probably add another 4/8GB RAM as well

It also looks a lot nicer and neater beside the TV than the previous Precision 690 I had. I'm hoping the near silent performance means it'll be easier on the electric bill too.

All in all very happy with it so far :)

The T20 is very quiet, but I fear it is not moving enough air to keep the drives cool. Be sure to monitor your drives. 

• Like 1