RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
schoondoggy

Dell T20

Kaiser2000

Hey all,

So I've worked out a decent price for this server with DELL and am looking for drives now - as I said before I'm thinking of the WD Red series

I was going to get 2TB drives, but for an extra €50 though I can get 3x3TB drives. Question is then will the server (or the H310 PERC) see them properly?

ikon

From what I found the H310 will support >2TB HDDs, if it has been upgraded to the firmware that supports UEFI. Apparently, UEFI was actually added to the H200, and the H310 is the replacement for the H200, so it's hard to imagine it doesn't support >2TB.

mdss

Get the 3TB version of the Red. It's priced better than any other current WD Red model (EUR/TB).

Both the on-board Intel SATA controller and the H310 will have no issues using 3TB+ drives. Booting from a 2.2TB+ drive attached to the PERC controller will need UEFI support.

Kaiser2000

From what I found the H310 will support >2TB HDDs, if it has been upgraded to the firmware that supports UEFI. Apparently, UEFI was actually added to the H200, and the H310 is the replacement for the H200, so it's hard to imagine it doesn't support >2TB.

Get the 3TB version of the Red. It's priced better than any other current WD Red model (EUR/TB).

Both the on-board Intel SATA controller and the H310 will have no issues using 3TB+ drives. Booting from a 2.2TB+ drive attached to the PERC controller will need UEFI support.

Sounds good.. thanks guys! :)

BigPike

ESXI hangs at initializing iov. Any idea? While installing esxi. Both with custom dell image and vmware offical.

Edited by BigPike

mdss

What BIOS version do you have currently? What CPU? G3220?

The on-board Intel NIC does not support SR-IOV.

When you get to the boot screen press Shift+O, type "noIOMMU" (without ") and press Enter.

Edited by mdss
  • Like 1

BigPike

CTRL + O under boot and then noIOMMU did the trick. Infact, I manage to google it and it will boot without any issues. Will add the NOIOMMU to the boot.cfg.

But the problem is now, that there is no Installation! After every reboot the password is resetet to default (blank). Any idea?

yeah, the default pentium CPU. And the build in NIC didt work, not even with Dells custom ISO. So I added another Intel Nic and it did the trick.

Edit:

Wrote "runweasel noIOMMU", that started the normal installation.

Edited by BigPike

BigPike

Added esxcli system settings kernel set --setting=noIOMMU -v TRUE into esxcli (ssh) and now I dont need to type noIOMMU everytime I boot. Wiee. :)

• Like 1

delluser

I have had my T20 for a couple months and have upgraded to an i3-4130 CPU without issue.  I also have 8GB of Kingston DDR3 1600 non ECC running fine.  I am really liking the server so far.  I am running WHS 2011 and it runs great.  However I am unable to get the WOL working.  I use LightsOut for WHS 2011 and cannot get it to wake.  I had this working on my previous WHS 2011 custom build without issue.  Does anyone know what BIOS settings I need to get the WOL working?

Thanks in advance.

Same here. Can't get WOL working. Enabled WOL in BIOS and OS. Running Windows 2012 R2.

Did you get WOL working, BIGGRIMTIM?

Anyone have any suggestions?