RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
schoondoggy

Dell T20

ikon

Pardon my confusion. So you're saying the PSU doesn't make the noise if the server is running? This is a noise that comes from the PSU when it's shut down?

mdss

No. The noise is there as long as the PSU is power connected (stand by or on). The problem comes from loose wire coils that vibrate and produce those sounds. It's a manufacturing defect or a sign of wear (which in this case it's not wear).

While the server is powered on you just can't hear those sounds. The system fans are just louder.

Edited by mdss

schoondoggy

Schoondoggy, is there even a base IPMI setup onboard?

That's my one concern with the T20.  While not supported officially, one could put an Adaptec RAID card in for a disk array if wanted.  However, lights-out management really isn't an addable option.  The Lenovo Thinkserver has an IPMI setup of some sort, and of course, the Microserver Gen7 has the optional RAC and the Gen8 has iLO.  I know the T20 doesn't have an iDRAC, so I'd be interested in knowing if there's anything or if you have to be local to the server for OS installation, reboots, etc.

There is, I need to spend some time on it.

ikon

No. The noise is there as long as the PSU is power connected (stand by or on). The problem comes from loose wire coils that vibrate and produce those sounds. It's a manufacturing defect or a sign of wear (which in this case it's not wear).

While the server is powered on you just can't hear those sounds. The system fans are just louder.

Interesting. Thanks for the info. The sound wouldn't bother me, though, as I leave my server on 24/7.

Kaiser2000

Hey all,

So as I posted out in the main Microserver forum, I'm looking at replacing a DELL Precision 690 with something a bit smaller, quieter and cheaper to run. 

I was considering a HP N54L, but it was suggested I look at the new Gen8 model which is a bit over the budget I was allowing.

This however looks like it would fit the bill perfectly. I have always liked DELL's hardware and I do a lot of business with DELL so will be asking my a/c manager about it tomorrow :)

I'd be planning on running this with Server 2012 R2 and 2 Hyper-V machines to do DC/AD/DHCP/DNS functions as well as my Media server (Mezzmo)

Disk-wise I was thinking 4x 2GB SATA - possibly the WD Red series.

Will the basic spec support this? I know I'll need an adapter card for RAID 5 support (has anyone tested that $50 on the last page?) and I could probably do with bumping the RAM to 8GB+ 

but I'm working to a budget of about 500 EUR so may have to do it in stages :)

Cheers for any feedback!

Essexraptor

I'm sure it's a typo... but you do mean 4 x 2TB drives ?

You sure you can do all that for 500 EUR ?.. I would have thought closer to 1000 EUR including OS but excluding RAID card ??

Good luck  :)

Edited by Essexraptor

schoondoggy

Hey all,

So as I posted out in the main Microserver forum, I'm looking at replacing a DELL Precision 690 with something a bit smaller, quieter and cheaper to run. 

I was considering a HP N54L, but it was suggested I look at the new Gen8 model which is a bit over the budget I was allowing.

This however looks like it would fit the bill perfectly. I have always liked DELL's hardware and I do a lot of business with DELL so will be asking my a/c manager about it tomorrow :)

I'd be planning on running this with Server 2012 R2 and 2 Hyper-V machines to do DC/AD/DHCP/DNS functions as well as my Media server (Mezzmo)

Will the basic spec support this? I know I'll need an adapter card for RAID 5 support (has anyone tested that $50 on the last page?) and I could probably do with bumping the RAM to 8GB+ 

Cheers for any feedback!

I have the H310 RAID card will try to check it out this week. With Hyper V I would consider moving to 16GB if your budget permits.

mdss

@Kaiser2000 I don't know which EU country you're in, but I don't think you'll pack everything for EUR 500. The Pentium base is like EUR 240, a 2TB WD Red EUR 90 (so EUR 360 for 4 drives), a compatible 8GB ECC DIMM close to EUR 100. You can get a SAS2008 card (H310, M1015...) relatively cheap. Also you'll want to boot the VMs from an SSD and maybe the host OS too. So I think even EUR 1000 isn't enough.

If you limit yourself to 2 VMs and don't load the host too much you can get by with the G3220, 16GB of memory and a 240GB SSD. For EUR 400 more you can get the Xeon version and 16 more GB of RAM.

By the way, anyone plans to try a hyperthreaded Xeon upgrade like the 1245v3?

Essexraptor

Hey all,

Cheers for any feedback!

After reading this thread

http://homeservershow.com/forums/index.php?/topic/7517-microserver-n54l-will-it-do-what-im-looking-for/#entry81821

I think this advice by Lonewolf is the one to go with

I wouldn't really want to balance three Hyper-V VMs running full-time on a dual-core Turion II N54L.  On the other hand, your Precision 690 is overkill.

Have you considered a Gen8 Microserver?  You can put a single Xeon in it, run it with 16GB of RAM, and it would be a much better choice for balancing the load.  Or even do a Core i3 (two-core, four-thread).  Your Adaptec card should slot in nicely, and you have remote access built-in.

Also, like you said, I'd consolidate your VMs.  While I'd probably compartmentalize at work (at work, I try to avoid running file servers on an AD controller) I might do it differently at home, as I'm not serving files for a ton of user accounts and having to worry about rolling over domains to new server operating systems that quickly and having to migrate file shares

If you aren't running 30 workstations at home, ditch WSUS and save yourself the file space, and just let your individual workstations be patched.  Definitely do it the way you're talking about (one VM for AD/DHCP/DNS with file/print, and one for media).  Or, even do the media server on your primary as well --that's what I'm doing; my server mainly uses shares and my HTPC pulls from there.

Lots of Gen8 experience on these boards ....for reference ... if you should get stuck

BIGGRIMTIM

I have had my T20 for a couple months and have upgraded to an i3-4130 CPU without issue.  I also have 8GB of Kingston DDR3 1600 non ECC running fine.  I am really liking the server so far.  I am running WHS 2011 and it runs great.  However I am unable to get the WOL working.  I use LightsOut for WHS 2011 and cannot get it to wake.  I had this working on my previous WHS 2011 custom build without issue.  Does anyone know what BIOS settings I need to get the WOL working?

Thanks in advance.