schoondoggy

Dell T20

Taffeys

Looking forward to your report. 

schoondoggy

Moved thread to new location

• Like 1

LoneWolf

Schoondoggy, is there even a base IPMI setup onboard?

That's my one concern with the T20.  While not supported officially, one could put an Adaptec RAID card in for a disk array if wanted.  However, lights-out management really isn't an addable option.  The Lenovo Thinkserver has an IPMI setup of some sort, and of course, the Microserver Gen7 has the optional RAC and the Gen8 has iLO.  I know the T20 doesn't have an iDRAC, so I'd be interested in knowing if there's anything or if you have to be local to the server for OS installation, reboots, etc.

egardiner

That's my one concern with the T20.  While not supported officially, one could put an Adaptec RAID card in for a disk array if wanted.  However, lights-out management really isn't an addable option.  The Lenovo Thinkserver has an IPMI setup of some sort, and of course, the Microserver Gen7 has the optional RAC and the Gen8 has iLO.  I know the T20 doesn't have an iDRAC, so I'd be interested in knowing if there's anything or if you have to be local to the server for OS installation, reboots, etc.

Not sure what other's experiences have been, but I've had good luck with Intel AMT, which the T20 supports (in the Xeon configuration, anyway).  While not a fully blown management processor, it is quite capable, especially for the most common use cases.

Reboots and other simple stuff are possible through the AMT web console, and more advanced features, including OS provisioning, are possible via Remote KVM and IDE Redirect.

• Like 1

schoondoggy

Schoondoggy, is there even a base IPMI setup onboard?

That is the next feature I need to explore on the T20.

mdss

LoneWolf: yes, they all share the same chassis (Vostro, Optiplex and T20).

Taffeys: sorry no updates yet as I had to do more planning on each machine role. Hope I'll get things right soon. 6 HDDs is easy, it's already built for 4x 3.5'' and 2x 2.5''. I'd love to find a secure way to add 2 more 3.5''! There's plenty of room to add SSDs.

egardiner: the T20's PSU has a high pitch coil noise and it seems everyone is complaining about it. A better memory option would be: KTD-PE316ELV/8G. Same as your's, but 1.35V.

ikon

the T20's PSU has a high pitch coil noise

Well, isn't that annoying. Hopefully, Dell will address that issue.

mdss

Yeah it's annoying, but not if it's powered on 24x7. You can also use a power strip with a on/off switch and switch it off when not in use. I don't think Dell will address this issue, it's the way the PSU is built and also reflected in the machine's price tag.

ikon

Why would it be better if the unit is on 24/7?

mdss

It's not better if it's on 24x7, just that you can't hear it when the system is powered on