RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Seagate support needs a kick up the backside.

stix01

So I began the process of having a drive replaced by seagate.

I started out by asking for updated firmware (They couldn't find the one they distributed 9 months ago )  

They then advised me to have the drive replaced.

I asked for an advanced RMA

Then - I emailed them and specifically outlined that if I can't have a certain version of firmware please ship me a different drive model to avoid problems. 

1 week later.

The drive shows up. 

And guess what - it's the exact part and firmware I'm having problems with that is heavily documented to be a problem. 

went on twitter and blasted seagate. "We can help" 

Then sent a link to the usual process to a phone number that can't be called in Europe.

so I've always been a Seagate owner. But. This is my last tether. I have a total of 4 drives here that are virtually useless because I can't run any of them in raid and I have had multiple replacements on all of these drives but still never got any traction from Seagate. 

I've gone from 320gb x 8 (Still working) to 4x 1tb (Still working) to 6x2tb Barracuda Green (All fail periodically) and that doesn't include all of my other drives I've used including momentus XT.  

I'm going to post this to twitter also because It's just a joke that I've been chasing this problem so long the warranty has expired on drives. 

So Seagate. please read this. I have 4 Barracuda greens here that you've failed to actually sort for me over time. What are you going to do to stop me from totally switching to Western Digital. Seems you are happy to throw hardware at online reviewers but actually when it comes to customers who buy (6 years I just totalled 23 drives just for myself ) & advise others of what they use. 

Also I hate to say that given I'm about to purchase once you release consumer drives in the 6tb capacity a number of these. Am I going to be forced to buy WD products? I may only be a home user. But I really would like you to help. 

I thought I'd post this in the forums so everyone else can see what they do and make up there own mind if they wish to use Seagate products. 

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• cskenney

• ikon

• stix01

• Essexraptor

So is the issue that they aren't replacing failed drives? They replaced a drive with the exact same model so didn't they honor the warranty? Or are you expecting a different model drive now?

So is the issue that they aren't replacing failed drives? They replaced a drive with the exact same model so didn't they honor the warranty? Or are you expecting a different model drive now?

The issue is failures from them on multiple fronts.

- The lack of the support team reading emails and communicating.

- The terrible contact options for Europe.

- The fact that I've had multiple replacements on the drives and they haven't solved my problem. (Now all bar 1 out of warranty)

- The fact that they can't find firmware they distributed to other owners solving the problem without RMA

As for the expecting a different model - If they had said "If you want a part number change there is a cost"  I'd have said "here's my credit card number solve the problem for me please!"  I don't expect a different model I just see that as the easiest option than them having to give me a model with a specific level of firmware.

Edited by stix01

Bottom line: the drives have a defect that prevents them from being used in your application. There is a firmware update that fixes the problem, but Seagate can't, or won't, give it to you. Is that about it?

Bottom line: the drives have a defect that prevents them from being used in your application. There is a firmware update that fixes the problem, but Seagate can't, or won't, give it to you. Is that about it?

Absolutely.

Just for a bit of reference I have a copy of the Seagate brochure that I saved when I purchased the drives. 

It specifically mentions these as being ok in a NAS for which they subsequently changed them to be called "Desktop drives" and stopped saying they are NAS ok.

Data Sheet 
2 TB, 1.5 TB and 1 TB • SATA 6 Gb/s and SATA 3 Gb/s

Key Advantages
A unique 5,900 RPM platform that delivers the fastest performance
of any eco-friendly drive available
Seagate SmartAlign™ technology provides the benefits of the new
Advanced Format 4K sector standard without the hassle no utilities,
no extra steps
Plenty of capacity for storage-hungry applications
The SATA 6 Gb/s interface and 64 MB cache maximise performance,
especially in cache-intensive applications
Low power consumption, combined with leadership in the use of materials
that conform to environmental compliance programmes, means you
do not have to sacrifice environmental stewardship for performance
Cool, quiet operation
Best-fit Applications
High-capacity desktop storage
Direct Attached Storage devices: USB/FireWire/eSATA
Network Attached Storage devices and Windows storage servers
Eco-friendly PCs

So after first contact from Seagate Euro tech support. 

Prompt response to provide me with a Seagate NAS 2tb for my single drive that is under warranty.This is a great start. But the staff member failed to even comment on my 3 other drives that I'm chasing with them.

However. I still haven't had a phone-call as promised by them. But at least I've got some progress.

I see they responded to your tweet. Hopefully they hook you up now.

Sent from my Lumia 928 using Tapatalk

I see they responded to your tweet. Hopefully they hook you up now.

Sent from my Lumia 928 using Tapatalk

Seems that the marketing department running the twitter account isn't well connected. They haven't been able to get someone to call me due to the euro-tech call centre being on a 1hr time difference with 7am - 4pm working hours.

I'm hanging out to be hooked up!