RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

N54L or Gen8?

riahc3

Well, doing it or not doing it is a choice :) Since I know several people with this setup and they have never had a problem, thats why Im gonna do it :)

I understand your logic BTW, dont get me wrong. Its just since Ive seen setups with this working, Im gonna go ahead and do it as well.

As mentioned, there is a significant difference between "it works" and "it's designed, deployed, and administered using industry best practices". Lighting up and looking pretty means very little in the domain of security. It sounds like you're more interested in having a shiny new toy rather than a properly deployed tool. Most people only learn things one way and that's by suffering the pain of doing it wrong the first time. So, fill your boots.

As mentioned, there is a significant difference between "it works" and "it's designed, deployed, and administered using industry best practices". Lighting up and looking pretty means very little in the domain of security. It sounds like you're more interested in having a shiny new toy rather than a properly deployed tool. Most people only learn things one way and that's by suffering the pain of doing it wrong the first time. So, fill your boots.

This is for a home BTW :) Im sorry that maybe I didnt mention that...it doesnt have to comform to "industry's best practices" and downtime can be accepted.

Like I said, several people have this setup at home and it works perfectly for them :)

Sorry that I didnt make that clear in my first post.

It certainly is your choice riahc3, and I wish you good luck with it. I only mention that I prefer a separate box so as to provide balance to the feedback.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Has this project got any further ?

I'm interested too...  I'm currently running IPCop on my ESXi box (I know, it's not a dedicated machine as pointed out above but it's only for my home) and I'm going to replace the currently running ESXi box with my new shiny Gen8, so I've been wondering about using pfSense myself... must have a proper look when I get chance!