RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Which platform hosts your virtualized Homeserver?

SabatonFan80

Which platform hosts your virtualized Homeserver?  

23 members have voted

1. 1. Which platform hosts your virtualized Homeserver?

• VMWare Server 1.x / 2.x
    • VMWare GSX/ESX/ESXi
    • VMWare vSphere
    • VMWare Workstation 5.x / 6.x / 7.x
    • Hyper-V (Server 2008 / Server 2008 R2)
    • MS Virtual PC / Virtual Server 2005
    • Other (Please discuss)

I'm just curious to see what platforms other people are running their virtualized Homeservers in?

Personally I'm hosting in VMWare Server 2.0.2 on a Server 2008 R2 box. I ran under VMWare Server 1.x for quite some time (using at times virtualized or directly accessed disks) but switched to Server 2.x when I rebuilt my hosting environment.

Running ESXi 4.0 on a i5 750 server I built to learn on.

I access it using a vSphere client running on a Windows 2008 VM I run in Parallels on my mac.

• 1 month later...

I am using Virtual Box to host my WHS VAIL Beta build and will be building a physical box in the next couple of weeks.

After the show last week, we talked on ustream a bunch about this topic. It was very helpful. As soon as I have a few minutes to myself, going to try VBox on top of Ubuntu and see how that works.

I have a little bit of everything going, running vmware player on my main PC, ESXi 4.1 on my main server which has my prod WHS, and Hyper-V as a role on a separate server 2008R2 which has test WHS and Vail VM's.

I have a little bit of everything going, running vmware player on my main PC, ESXi 4.1 on my main server which has my prod WHS, and Hyper-V as a role on a separate server 2008R2 which has test WHS and Vail VM's.

Did you buy another WHS v1 license for your test WHS or does the ULA allow for us to run a test along side our prod instance? I would love to setup a test for my current WHS v1. Also, what happens if you were to replace the current system drive and needed to reinstall the OS... do you have to call Microsoft to get WHS v1 activated again or our you allowed so many installs on a OEM license software?

With the many different virtual machine host platforms that a user can choose, there comes several different ways of backing up your VM(s). For instance I have Vail installed on a host running Virtual Box and use the 'snapshot' feature to grab system backups before I do a test or install something as well as use the Vail server backup feature.

What are you using to create backups or snapshots of your VM(s)?

Gordon - I have been using the 120 day eval as my WHS v1 test OS. First, it's free. Second, it seems like I am reinstalling it every 3 months due to some kind of testing. I just purchased a technet subscription, so I own 2 full copies now, but if you only have one, the eval works great for testing.

Did you buy another WHS v1 license for your test WHS or does the ULA allow for us to run a test along side our prod instance? I would love to setup a test for my current WHS v1. Also, what happens if you were to replace the current system drive and needed to reinstall the OS... do you have to call Microsoft to get WHS v1 activated again or our you allowed so many installs on a OEM license software?

I have multiple licenses, Technet and another. The "drive" that is the system drive for my VM doesn't reside on just 1 physical hard drive, that's the great thing about a VM. I can have it snapshot a backup, have it run on a raid system and present a volume to the VM that looks like a drive, use iscsi to present a volume over the network, etc. All of those solutions protect me from a 1 hard drive system failure.

I couldn't tell you what would happen if you needed to re-install, my guess is that it would work a few times and then they may flip a switch after you've activated the same license x times and then have you call in.