RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

FS: Highpoint RocketRaid 2640x4

dataoscar

I have a new card that was bought with the intent of running hardware raid, but have decided with going the ZFS route.

The card is new, with original manual and cables., although the box was opened to test the card when I first got it. It has had about 5 - 10 minutes of usage.

Asking $80 shipped.

I researched some and it seems that in part some of the raid functionality is done on the card. The card does not have a cache or a processor to do the stripping and xoring.

Sent from my Nexus 7

Jason, the 2640 is not a full-blown RAID card like you would get with higher end LSI cards; it does rely on the CPU for some calculations. Sooooo, yeah, 'fake RAID' :D

Actually, I like to call it Firmware RAID; in between software-only RAID such as you would get by using Disk Manager and full-blown RAID with, like I said, LSI cards.

Appreciate the explanation. I like that term - firmware RAID. Tried a Highpoint card when I first started, but it can HOT and was slow on array building.

Since switched to an Adaptec 7805 with 8 ports for my home server. Running 8 x 3 TB WD Reds in a RAID 6 array for my data. Understandably not a backup but for resiliency. Have had a great experience with Adaptec. Heard great things about LSI but never tried one.

Jason, the 2640 is not a full-blown RAID card like you would get with higher end LSI cards; it does rely on the CPU for some calculations. Sooooo, yeah, 'fake RAID' :D

Actually, I like to call it Firmware RAID; in between software-only RAID such as you would get by using Disk Manager and full-blown RAID with, like I said, LSI cards.

I don't know, apparently HighPoint cards are good enough for Backblaze. ;)

But yeah, not as beefy hardware on the highpoint cards, but it's still hardware RAID. But not super high end stuff, like those LSI cards ikon mentioned.

Also, I believe most of the HighPoint cards use Marvell chipsets. At least from what I've seen.

I can understand why BackBlaze is using them. The only thing a BackBlaze unit does is store data (which it does extremely well as I understand it). Therefor, almost the entire duty-cycle of the CPU can be devoted to RAID calculations; it really hasn't got much of anything else to do.

For dB, web, line-of-business, and other, busier, servers a higher-end RAID card makes more sense, since the CPU really does have a ton of other stuff to do.

• 4 weeks later...

I have a new card that was bought with the intent of running hardware raid, but have decided with going the ZFS route.

The card is new, with original manual and cables., although the box was opened to test the card when I first got it. It has had about 5 - 10 minutes of usage.

Asking $80 shipped.

So are you going the FreeNAS route?? I loved it. If you are really intent on going ZFS, make sure you get lots of RAM, as much as your board can handle. I tried the minimum suggested amount of 1 GB per TB of storage and it was not enough. I also did not use an SSD cache which I think was a major problem too. But other than that I loved FreeNAS.