RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

NTSC changed to RAW

chadrichter

I'll have to ask, but I think ReneNAS and ASMedia are probably the best.

However, for long term usage... SATA.

USB drives can periodically disconnect, and the USB specs are "okay' with that. However, this can cause corruption, of your files or the file system.

For something like Storage Spaces, Drive Bender or StableBit DrivePool, if you're using it long term (and not just for backup), eSATA or SATA is a much better solution in the long run.

The problem with SATA and eSATA is the difficulty trying to dismount drives. For example, trying to dismount my Lian-Li EX-503 boxes if they're connected via SATA. Yes, I can just wait until the drives are not busy and hope the caches have all been flushed, but it's not a comfortable feeling. That's the beauty of using the USB Disconnect feature.

I'm speechless. I changed out the old sata controller with a new IO Crest controller and al lwas well.  Then last night the drive locked up on the same drive location that went out before in my Icy Dock backplane.  Augghh!!!!  I'll mess with it tonight and see whats going on.

False alarm.  I rerouted cables to optimize airflow.  I put the machine together in a hurry....  The issue ended up being a loose sata cable...  Doh!!

This is a prime example of the old adage: always check the last thing that was changed.

You may find this a bit overkill but, believe it or not, it is REALLY handy to keep a log book of changes made to computers, particularly servers. One technique I have used is to tape a sheet to the side of a server (assuming the side of the server is readily accessible) and jot down a quick date, time, and description of the change I just made.

Glad you found the issue.

That can definitely happen. 

And ... when troubleshooting for StableBit Scanner and StableBit DrivePool, I regularly recommend checking the cables. Because while it is a very simple problem, it's a lot more common than you'd think. 

(Also, bad memory causes all sorts of weird issues.... like the client backup service failing.... true story).

@Ikon, the changelog is a very good idea. Especially for those with bad memory. That, and it may make the difference when restoring the system. Instead of trying 2-3 times to fix everything, you have the log to know when exactly to go back.

Also, for removing the disks:

Setting the disks as "offline" via disk management (or if you want to get tricky, via a script), that will work as it closes any active handles to the disk and prevents new ones.

Alternatively, there is a small utility that I found in the WHSv1 days that may help out here:

http://mt-naka.com/hotswap/index_enu.htm

Alternatively, there is a small utility that I found in the WHSv1 days that may help out here:

http://mt-naka.com/hotswap/index_enu.htm

Thanks for the link. I found a similar utility that works via command line: http://www.uwe-sieber.de/drivetools_e.html.

I've been making some significant changes to my server configuration, which I plan to detail in a separate thread, and one of these utilities will likely play a large role in the new configuration.

• Like 1