RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

NTSC changed to RAW

chadrichter

Hello all,

I experienced a HDD crash the other day and I thought I'd share what I've found.  I did a custom build with WHS2011.  I have ten drives in it, three 3tb and seven 2tb in it.  I have three Icy Dock 4 into 3 backplanes installed for hotswapping the drives.  I usually do not leave it running, only when I want to access my files do  Iturn it on.  One morning I noticed, after turning it on, there was one of the drive bays staying amber instead of green.  I didn't think much of it, till I tried to access my shares via my Boxee Box.  Well, I pulled that drive out and the machine booted.  I then plugged that drive into my Win8 box via a SATA to USB adapter and the drive reported as being RAW.  So I started searching Google to see what I could find.  Found several articles typically involving using GETDATABACK or some other data recovery software to get files back. Or, there was articels that said that the PCB was fried.  I contacted ICY DOCK, we went back and forth and the tech reassured me that the backplane would not fry the drives.  In the mean time, I ended up plugging another drive into the WHS2011 box and the same thing happened to the new drive.  I ran some data recovery, because like a dummy I put drives in it that have data on them...  And no, I haven't backed these drives up.  Brilliant, I know. BUt, pulling off terrabytes of data will take lots of time.  I really didn't feel like that was an option I wnated to explore at that time.

Well, I tried hooking these drives up to my mac.  Same error.  On a whim, I plugged them into an old XP box that I have.  Yes, I am a packrat and horde all my computers.  Low and behold, the XP box read the drives.  I'm currently copying off al lof the data to a 4tb seagate external.  Thought I'd share this unfortunate incident and hope that it may help one of you to recover data without going through all the hair pulling that this usually entails.

• 7 months later...

Well.  I eventually got around to fooling with this install again.  And... Looks like it was the controller card.  I had to deal with it when a second hard drive stopped the machine from booting.  Ordered another card and voila.  The machine is back and running again.

I replaced it with a IO Crest card:

IO Crest SATA III 4 Port PCI-e 2.0 x1 Card with Low Profile Bracket SI-PEX40064

Thoughts on this card?

Marvell chipsets are on of the better ones to use.

(HighPoint uses their line of chips in the Rocket and RocketRAID cards, as well).

Them and the ASMedia's ASM1061 chipset is what we (covecube/stablebit) tend to recommend for cards.